5744 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Move RAID disks (including data) between DL380G2 & G4

DaveStevenson99
Advisor

Move RAID disks (including data) between DL380G2 & G4

Hi,

I have a DL380G2 with a RAID1 array, a RAID5 array and an online spare.

I would like to move the system to a DL380G4 with the same configuration, i.e., keeping the OS, installed software and data.

I think that the G2 has a SA5i and the G4 has a SA6i.

Does anyone know whether I will be able to just move the disks to the other machine without restoring from backup? I think that the HP arrays hold some data about the array configuration  on the array card and some on the disks themselves, but I don't know whether the "new" controller would recognise the array and use it correctly.

(The G2 has 18GB disks and the G4 has 36Gb disks at the moment, with the same RAID configurations)

regards

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As long as the G4 is the SCSI model that uses the U320 hard disks, you should be able to move the disks. The RAID information is not stored on the controller, it is kept in the RIS area on each disk. Standard disclaimer, have a good backup in case something goes wrong.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DaveStevenson99
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

thanks a lot for the reply - just what I'd hoped for!

regards

Dave

DaveStevenson99
Advisor

Well, I tried it and it doesn't work!

The Array Controller saw the arrays configured on the disks OK. The Array controller reconfigured itself to handle the change in memory from the 32MB on the 5i to the 64MB on the 6i and the system started to boot OK.

However, very early into the Windows 2003 boot, the machine rebooted. This happens every time I trry to reboot.

I surnise that the system is failing when trying to load the 5i SCSI driver in a machine with a 6i controller.

regards

Dave