ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753640 Members
5432 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving / Adding larger drives in a Proliant ML530 with a Smart 4200 Array controller ?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Moving / Adding larger drives in a Proliant ML530 with a Smart 4200 Array controller ?

Proliant ML530 with Smart Array Controller (4200) running Netware 5.1. Currently has 4 x 9.1 Gb drives in lower drive cage and 1 x 9.1 Gb drive in upper cage (don't ask me why ?). Array controller is setup as one array with all 5 drives in a RAID 5 configuration. I would like to add 3 x 18.2 Gb drives to the server. How do I get the 1 x 9.1 Gb drive down into the lower drive cage and have the Array Controller and Netware recognize it ? Once that is done what are the steps to add the 3 x 18.2 Gb drives again in the RAID 5 configuration and then add them to the SYS: volume ?
Tips ? Thoughts ? Concerns ? Warnings ?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Cesar Vieira
Advisor

Re: Moving / Adding larger drives in a Proliant ML530 with a Smart 4200 Array controller ?

I will give you same advices, first of all you won't get the full capacity of the 18Gb hdd's in the same array, because the Raid 5 is 9Gb based. An alternate way is creating a second array which will give you 36Gb of space.

Concerning adding them to the Netware SYS volume I don't have the knowledge to do that.

Now, to move the 9Gb hdd from the upper cage to the lower one, probably you'll have same to trouble to do that, if it isn't possible in an easy way like swapping it directly (which I don't believe it will work).

The most important thing, do a full backup to the server (data and NDS).

An (stupid or not) idea: add one of the 18Gb hdd as a spare drive in the port you'll want the 9Gb disk on, then remove the upper 9Gb one and let the rebuilding process ends.
Now you have two chances:
1 - Replace the 18Gb with the 9Gb one and remove the hotspare drive from the array.
2 - Put a new 18Gb on the place where the 9Gb was (becomes hotspare) and remove the 18Gb lower, when the rebuild process ends put the 9Gb on the lower cage and remove the 18Gb from the upper cage and from being hotspare.

It's somehow crazy, but...

I hope it will help you anyhow.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving / Adding larger drives in a Proliant ML530 with a Smart 4200 Array controller ?

Hello;

As long as your firmware on the 4200 controller is fairly recent, it supports a feature called "drive roaming" which allows you to change the placement of the hard drives, even across channels, without losing any of your array configuration.

Of course it is always wise to have a recent backup, but here is how you get that rogue 9.1GB drive back into the array.

First, update the firmware on your array controller to the most recent using the options ROM paq. Power down the server and move the single drive up into the same cage as the rest of the array. Power up the server - the controller will recognize the change of drive positions and give you that message at POST.

You are then good to go with adding a second array on the second channel of the controller using your 3 18.2 GB drives, as this is the best use of space.

You can use the cpqonlin utility from Netware to do this live, or use the Array Configuration Utility from SmartStart to add the second array and create a logical drive on it.

From NetWare, using nwconfig options, create a Netware partition on the newly created logical drive (which shows as an additional device in nwconfig/standard disk options/disk partitions and hot fix), then go into nwconfig/standard disk options/NetWare volume options and add the partition to your sys: volume.

Both your hardware and software will allow you to expand the sys: volume. Some administrators choose not to have the sys: volume span two channels of the controller and two drive cages. It makes for faster read/write times to the volume and allows additional space if you need it, but creates multiple points of failure, any one of which would cause you to lose the whole volume (drive cage or second channel of the controller failing). The choice is up to you.

You should update all your drivers, firmware and system configuration utilities to the most recent before performing this upgrade. You can find all the downloads you would require to do this at http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/locate/32_1117.html

Sincerely,

Janine Bertolo
HP Support Services
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.