1748175 Members
4409 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Teaming/Switch Configuration

Derek_31
Valued Contributor

This is a classic symptom of using load balancing when you should be using fault tolerant configurations.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

this is the same behevior we saw durring an the migration from LCAP connections (i.e. Load Balanced) with a cisco and Intel Teaming Software to multiswitch fault tolerance.

one the teaming was swiched to Switch fault tolerance (i.e. hot standby) the problem disappeared.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Cisco does not support, per my network engineers, bonding of ethernet channels across multiple switches. This is why you must use fault tolerant mode when teaming across multiple switches. I don't know if other ethernet switch vendors have the same limitation.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Kris and Khoa,

Spanning tree needs to be disabled on the switch ports to which your teamed NICs are connected to. Also, please ensure that the teamed NICs are connected to the same switch or if in the case of multiple switches (same broadcast domain tho), ensure spanning tree is enabled on the ports which connect the two switches.

I totally disagree with previous comments about how you should only use teaming for fault tolerance. Why not load balance, sure you may or may not get a true link agrregation or fat pipe, but we do use it for load balancing....absolutely nothing wrong with that!

hope it helps and could you assign points to the replies please...

regards,