New Discussion юеВ

Re: Only Random Power-On Delay in RBSU

SOLVED
Go to solution
frankbackes
Occasional Advisor

Only Random Power-On Delay in RBSU

Hi,

I'm currently configuring my Server to recover from clean shutdown by the UPS due to commercial power interruption.

The server is a DL 385 gen8 it has a D2700 attached by mini SAS.

As far I got told in the manual of the D2700 the D2700 must be started before starting the server. So I was planning in a delayed startup for the second group on the UPS on which the server is. Unfortunately the server also is on Commercial Power and as soon that one comes back it starts the server immediately, instead respecting the timing that will trigger to power comeback from the USP.

So the workaround is that I configure in the RBSU the Automatic Power-on to always start the system and provide a Power-On Delay.

But here starts the problem.

In the menu of RBSU I only get the following 2 options under Power-On Delay:

-No delay

-Random Delay

I was now searching for 6 hours and doing some trial and errors without success.

What has been tried:

I tried to configure the same setting trough ILO 4 web console but there it shows only the following:

-Minimum Delay

-Random up to 120 seconds

but nowhere I can select an exact time

So I was updating Ilo to the latest version  (1.22) but still no success.

So I was trying to update the ROM (RBSU) and updated to A28 2012.12.17 but still no option to change to an accurate timing.

I'm some kind of helpless now and I would really appreciate if anybody had this previously and could work out this.

Thank you for your time and help

Wfr Frank

5 REPLIES 5
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

More random delay options were added to iLO4 v1.30
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-Remote-Lights-Out-Mgmt-iLO/iLO-4-firmware-version-1-30-released/td-p/6149611

Hi,

Is there any reason why I didn't got this as the latest release version from HP directly? Is it a beta firmware? I ask as somebody was complaining about having trouble now, in the post you sent me.

And so you mean that only after installing that firmware I will be able to choose a delay amount?

and there is no other way to get more delay like 5 minutes?

I only a have a Hardware solution means to build in a fuse that has delay power on that will then acte in front of the commercial power for the server. But tis is like fiddeling arround I'm more for nice and clean solutions.

Wfr Frank

frankbackes
Occasional Advisor

I now installed the Firmware and I got the options as you mentioned in the posted link. Thank you.

I just don't get in what situation you want to have a RANDOM delay, don't you always want to know what exactly your server does and what are the timings?

Wfr Frank
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

During the first couple of seconds after powered On, Servers can draw lots of power. If you have racks full of servers in your datacenter and try to power them on all at once, you could get a power surge large enough to cause a power outage. This is why you need servers with random auto power On.

Ok, but as random again could make that by coincidence it culd happen that a lot of servers start in an intersection of that boot delay and so the peak happens again.
OR
are the servers negotiating the delay that the different servers in the pool will use?