ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753666 Members
6103 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P400 Array Acc Permanently disabled, no logical drives

Josh Kirkpatrick

P400 Array Acc Permanently disabled, no logical drives

I have a P400 in a DL320s which encountered a write cache error and permanently disabled the array accelerator. ADU recommended replacing the cache memory, and I did so. After replacing the cache, ADU still reports the AA as "permanently disabled" and tells me to replace the cache.

If I go into ACU CLI and attempt to enable the array accelerator, I am told there are no logical drives. ADU reports the 4 logical drives correctly, the system boots, and it's even capable of rebuilding a RAID 5 array. The problem may have been concurrent with a disk failure, and so the cache memory was replaced first and then the bad disk was replaced. As you can see in the attached report, ADU correctly finds the four logical drives and reports logical drive 4 as rebuilding.

It is possible the new cache is also bad, or that the controller itself is bad, but before I replace the controller I want to know if I'm doing this right. How do I re-enable the array accelerator and clear the error state once I have replaced the cache memory?
4 REPLIES 4
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the ITRC Forums!

First check the firmware on the controller. HP released a critical update which you do not have installed. Read the release notes as it pertains to fixing disabled cache:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3232017&swItem=MTX-9eae0e71a9dd4863b472764fee&prodNameId=3288100&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

Please remember to assign points to the fine fellows in these forums if the information helps you.

Rgds,

TTr
Honored Contributor

1. When you replaced the cache did you remove the battery? (don't get offended it happens)
2. The ADU attachment is it before or after you replaced the cache?
3. Check the status lights on the card and ensure the battery is ok. (page 32 of http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00572169/c00572169.pdf ) I know ADU says the battery did not fail but you never know.
4. Check the status lights on the battery pack itself and ensure they are ok (page 33 of above doc).
5. Upgrade the FW as indicated above if you have not done yet.

Josh Kirkpatrick

Thank you both for your replies. I got a maintenance window for the system and tried all of the suggested tips. Unfortunately the issue persists (though the firmware upgrade was successful).

With regard to the battery indicator lights, both power lights are steady green. The arrays were idle at the time, and the other two lights were both off, indicating no short in the battery power path or data being written/stored in the write cache, as described on the chart on page 34 of the referenced document.

Any other ideas?
Josh Kirkpatrick

And to answer the ACU report question, the attached report was generated AFTER the cache RAM had been replaced.