108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P410i Array Controller ..Convert Raid 0 to Raid 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gopan
Occasional Advisor

P410i Array Controller ..Convert Raid 0 to Raid 1

We have a DL385 G7 Server with p410i Array controller.Have two drives ,during installation ,it took te default option of raid 0 and now we need to convert the array to raid 1.

One disk showing unassigned and second drive in raid 0.Not getting the option to Migrate or convert the Raid in GUI of ACU.can it be done through CLI ....?will the command ctrl slot=x ld 1 modify raid=1 will work?

Is there any way we shall convert the raid to raid 1 without loosing data?Array accelerator battry is disabled.

Thanks in advance for the solution.

6 REPLIES 6
PGTRI
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

You need to have a battery and cache module for raid migration.

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

I think it is possible, but for sure you need battery backuped cache. So in you case you hava to backup your data and do it offline.

jan

Gopan
Occasional Advisor

Yes I realized that ..luckily had battery/cache memory on another same servers ,installed and done raid migration and returned back the battery/cache memory to the orinignal.Whole process of migration from Raid 0 to Raid 1 took 6 hours :(

New G7 DL385 servers ...Y all of them coming with the option of Raid 0 as default option????? ...previously they were having the default option of Raid 1 if the server is having two drives.

Gopan
Occasional Advisor

Dear JAN,

Thanks for the reply/info.Done as mentioned above.

Have A Great Day

Dan Stout

Having same issue with ML350 G6 with P410i.  Added FBWC and now option shows to migrate Raid/Stripe size but under Raid there is no other option and Raid 0.  Is there a trick to getting the Raid 1 to show and selecting the mirror drive?

Thanks for any help!!!

Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

I know this is an old topic, but since there still seem to be a bit of confusion about how to migrate from raid-0 to raid-1, here is a little howto:

Once you've added a BBWC/FBWC to the controller (the battery/capacitor is required, it's not enough to add the cache module!), and added an extra empty drive (if it's not already there), you have the option of EXPANDING your current ARRAY with the extra drive.

Note that this will trigger a transformation of the current logical drive within the array. During the transformation you'll see unused space available in the array, corresponding to the size of the drive you're adding.

Once the transformation process is completed, you will be able to see Raid-1 as on option when you press the Migrate raid/strip size button in the ACU. The transformation process will take at least a couple of hours (depending on how busy the array is).

Not very logical, but that's how it works.