ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748180 Members
4025 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Plan to use separate DL360's for web app and database. Ask for advice.

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

Plan to use separate DL360's for web app and database. Ask for advice.

Basically this will be a virtual hosting scenario that the web/app server will host multiple web applications (Planning to host at least 10 web apps, but hope to go for 30 apps, finger crossed). I just do not know the will-be traffic. I estimated it to be moderate. I'll use the Windows (2003 Server Standard) Operating System (OS) for both the servers. My further questions are as follows:

*****Architectural Design #1**************

<1>Use the DL360 as Web Server (hosting HTTP server, web cache, and web applications/web sites)

<2>Use Another DL360 as the dedicated database server

Comment: Due to the budget, it looks like this design is more feasible/applicable for me.

----Que #1----
1) Any suggestion for choosing a standby/redundant server (such as use DL360 or else?) for this design?

---Que #2----
2) Suppose I'll use the DL360 to host the web applications, use about 500 MB for each app.

2.1> How many Physical Hard Disks will I need and what should be the storage capacity each hard disk should have (in GB)? (I propose 80 GB/each disk)

2.2> If two (2) physical disks will be used, how to parse each? For instance, how about:

Disk One be parsed into:

C: for OS,
D: for Oracel Applciation Server (software)
E: for backup files if needed.

Disk Two (if necessary/needed) be parsed into:
F: for deployed web applications (html, jsp, jar, war, ear, pictures)
G: Other?

2.3> How many CPUs to use? (Does the number of CPUs really matters? I sort of believe larger RAM may be more efficient).

2.4> Any kind of RAID needed here?

---Que #3----
3) Suppose I'll use another/separate DL360 to host the Database. Suppose using two hard drives/disks (max out each).

3.1> How to parse each disk? For instance, how about:

Disk One be parsed into:
C: for OS,
D: for Oracel Database System(software)
E: for backup files

Disk Two be parsed into:
F: for data files.
G: other?

3.2> Any kind of RAID needed here?

//////End of Design #1////////////////

Many Thanks to help.

Scott
2 REPLIES 2
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi scott

for a database 2 disks are usually not enough. so the dl360 will be your bottleneck.

depending on the performance requirements you might need:

2 disks for os (raid1)
2 disks for log files (raid1)
4 to ... disks for database

see how many disks hp used in the benchmark for a dl760. this might give you an idea how important disks are in a database environment. the tpc-c benchmark simulates heavy database work.

best regards
ernesto
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response. When it was said: "2 disks for log files (raid1)". What could be these log files?

Thaks to help.