4893 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Populating DL 380p Gen8 Server memory

WajeehRahman
Occasional Advisor

Populating DL 380p Gen8 Server memory

Dear All,

We have HP DL 380p gen8 server with two processors, each processor is having 12 slots. Processor is CPU E5-2650. Memory total installed is 64GB and each processor is having 4 slots filled. All installed DIMM are 8GB.

I was thinking to buy more total 8GB*6 DIMMS, so each processor will get 3, and total memory will be 112 GB but before making order for buying memory I want to know if it is possible to install 3*8GB DIMM in a processor or should be 4  ?

Please share your experience. Please take a look at existing memory configuration through ILO

thanks in advance for help.

Regards,
Wajeeh

2 REPLIES 2
Jake2223
Occasional Contributor

Re: Populating DL 380p Gen8 Server memory

I have done the same thing you are asking without issue. I just made sure that I orded the exact same part number that is listed in the iLO. That is not a requirment but that is what I did.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Populating DL 380p Gen8 Server memory

Hi,

You may refer to the server QuickSpecs.

Memory Subsystem Architecture

Each Intel Xeon E5-2600 or E5-2600 v2 family processor socket contains four memory channels that support three DIMMs each for a total of twelve (12) DIMMs per installed processor or a grand total of Twenty Four (24) DIMMs for the server. Up to 32GB capacity DIMMs are supported for 768GB of max memory (for Best Speed (1600MHz) run 2 DIMMs per channel or 16 DIMM slots x 16GB per DIMM = 256GB).

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo