1752608 Members
4534 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Graphics Card installed in second PCI half height slot

Frank_C
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Graphics Card installed in second PCI half height slot

My coworkers and i are looking to run a wide screen monitor so we need a deticated graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 x1) on our DL360p server to display true color (32 bit),  the first PCIe slot (x16) is currently being used to interface with cameras so we have to install the card in the half height x8 slot. When the card is installed in this slot and the system is rebooted it enters the early system initialization where it initializes the PCIe cards at the last step. When this happens i lose video from the integrated Matrox g200eH(Hp) and i dont recieve video from the NVIDIA card either.

When the camera card is removed and the graphics card is installed in the first slot (x16), i do recieve video feed from the NVIDIA card.

has anyone else ran into the issue of a graphics card not operating in the second slot? if so have you found any solutions?

Thanks

-Frank

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Graphics Card installed in second PCI half height slot

Hi,

On a DL360p Gen8, both the Expansion Slots are of PCIe 3.0 technology, Bus Width of slot 1 is x8 and slot 2 is x16.
Bus Width means the number of physical electrical lanes running to the connector.

My point of view is that this card NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 x1 will either work with PCI Express x16 or x1.

There can be no solution because the card is working as designed.

Refer to these docs:

http://www.nvidia.in/docs/IO/40049/quadro_nvs_290_datasheet.pdf

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 PCIe Graphics Cards.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Frank_C
Occasional Visitor

Re: ProLiant DL360p Gen8 Graphics Card installed in second PCI half height slot

Thanks for the reply!

i was wondering that myself so i contacted PNY and i recieved this response

"Our NVS 290 x1 is supposed to work in a PCIe x8 slot, but some motherboards may be able to detect it properly in an x8 slot, and others may not.

If you elect to, you might be able to work with an HP support representative to update the BIOS of your motherboard, in case that helps."

but more or less i should be able to run a compatable graphics card in the low profile x8 slot?

-Frank