ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
5824 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL380 G6 Raikd 1+0 expand disk array from 4 to 8

Crazysysadmin

ProLiant DL380 G6 Raikd 1+0 expand disk array from 4 to 8

I've got a 4 disk (146gb) RAID 1+0 array on a ProLiant DL380 G6 server running Centos 5.4. Is it possible to expand Raid 1+0 by adding +4 146gb disks without losing data on running system online? Can ACU do this?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
alex_sun
Frequent Advisor

online expand you smart array p410i need 256 BBWC at least
Crazysysadmin

How can i check if this option installed on my server?
Is it impossible to expand online without BBWC?
It means i should backup all data, brake array from bios and make new one Raid 1+0 on 8 disks, again install Centos and so on?
Crazysysadmin

On my System Managment Homepage - Home » Storage » Smart Array P410i Controller On System BoardArray » Controller Information i can see Accelerator Status: Enabled; Total Memory: 512 MB ; Battery Status: OK; Read Cache: 50%; Write Cache: 50%.
Does it mean i have BBWC 512 Mb installed?
Fran Garcia
Frequent Advisor

If you're using LVM, I'd suggest you just create new 2x2 disks RAID1, then add the new drives to the VG.

If you ever intend to shrink the VG to recover some disks, this is the quickest path :-)
Crazysysadmin

Thank You for replay.
Yesterday i have added +4 disks to my system using cpqacuxe web tool.
1. Hot pluged disks
2. Selected exists array and expanded it on 4 added disks (it tooks about 2 hours on my system)
3. Extanded Logic partition of my array from 250 to 500 GB

Now I am looking how to locate added +250gb in my Centos system.
Meateater
Occasional Visitor

I am trying to do the same thing. I have 2 x 500Gb drives in a Raid1+0. I want to add another 2 x 500Gb drives. I tried it before, inserted the drives and went to the current config. It did not show any spare drives or extra drives. The only thing I could do was to create another logical drive with the 2 new disks. i want to have 1 logical drive with all 4 disks.

Can someone please help me with this?

Cheers

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Does your SmartArray controller include the BBWC (Battery-Backed Write Cache) module, or its newer equivalent, the FBWC (Flash-Backed...)?

Without a *BWC module, some array modification operations will be locked out.

Which configuration tool you're using

If you're using the ROM-based set-up utility (available by pressing F8 at the SmartArray prompt when the system is booting), that only contains the bare minimum operations needed when installing an operating system. A real ACU (Array Configuration Utility) is available on bootable SmartStart CDs or installable to your OS: for modifying an existing array, the ACU is required.

MK
Meateater
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I have BBWC or  FBWC  installed, I really dont know the differance.

I was using the F8 option. looks like I will have to need the bootable ACU disk.

Where can I download this?

Cheers

Meateater
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I have BBWC or FBWC installed, I really dont know the differance.

I was using the F8 option. looks like I will have to need the bootable ACU disk.

Where can I download this?

Cheers