5683 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL380 G6 with Smart Array P410i, disk failures

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cerberus

ProLiant DL380 G6 with Smart Array P410i, disk failures

We have a problem with our P410i (Firmware v3), we had 8 146gb 10k SAS 6GBs disks in a RAID 1 configuration.

One of these disks failed and was incorrectly replaced with a disk with 146gb 10k SAS 3GBs (Model# DG0146BARTP) everything worked fine but with slightly degraded performance.

The problems started when replacing this 3gbs disk, each of the 6GBs (Most recent Model# EG0146FAWHU) disk that has replaced it has failed (three so far), one straight away upon replacement, another failed 5 hours after being replaced.

All disks replaced in the same Bay 5.

If the 3gbs disk is placed back in the bay it will resync the RAID 1 and work quite happily.

The mirror disk in the RAID 1 is a 6GBs (MN EG0146FARTR).

Is this just a run of Bad replacement disks or has anyone else come across this problem before?
7 REPLIES 7
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Re: ProLiant DL380 G6 with Smart Array P410i, disk failures

There is a problem with the Model# DG0146BARTP. I have no experience with the other disk you mention, but you might find this thread of interest:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1404819
Proliant Watch
Valued Contributor
Solution

When the 6Gb drive is connected, run ADU and check if the hard disk's firmware needs to be updated.
Cerberus

In this case the Model# DG0146BARTP disk is the only one that is working.

The replacement failed disk I have just pulled out is Model# EG0146FAWHU running Firmware HPDD, this was received as a replacement from HP earlier this week.

I have attached the ADU report from yesterday's failure.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

There's a new FW for the Smart Array.
V. 3.50, It is defined critical.

It might not be relevant in your case.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c02457119

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Cerberus

From the looks of that Firmware update it won't fix the problem I am having as we are currently running V3.0 and SAS disks.

It may be worth a try though so I will schedule this in for the next server maintenance.

I have requested another replacement disk from HP so will apply the firmware update before swapping them over.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes the reasons could be many.

And i don't believe in allways upgrade.

But in this case I would upgrade.

Good luck

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

GustavoK

ProLiant DL380 G6 with Smart Array P410i, system disk failure

Hello,

I have a problem with one of the system disks, configured as a RAID1 Logical Drive. The warning message says:

Code:

Description:

The current array controller has a bad or missing drive.

(Interim Recovery) Logical Drive 1 (136.7 GB, RAID 1) is operating with reduced performance and a further physical drive failure may result in data loss depending on the fault tolerance.

Configuration changes to this logical drive or any other logical drive in the array are not allowed until this problem is corrected.

To correct this problem, check the data and power connections to the physical drives or replace the failed drive. For more information, generate a diagnostics report under the Diagnostics tab.

Can I replace the failured unit with a new one with the server running, without loosing any data?

Thanks!