New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - NIC Teaming

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sandndan
Advisor

ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - NIC Teaming

Hi community,

since one week we have new DL380 Gen9 servers. Now we want to install them as a Win 2008 R2 server, but we cannot create a NIC teaming.

If I install the HP NCO (Network Configuration Utility), cp023339.exe Version 10.90, I get

"The software will bot be installed on the system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to the system"

I updated driver / firmware of the NIC, searched any new HP Network Configuration Tools, nothing.

NIC: HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331i Adapter

Can someone help?

Many thanks

/Hugo

14 REPLIES 14
Renjiv
Respected Contributor
Solution

Greetings!

HP Network Configuration Utility (NCU) does not support some of the New NICs released with Gen9. When installing Windows 2008 R2 on gen9 server and configuring network team, we could not use NCU as it is not supported.

As a workaround, you can use Broadcom Advance Control Suite 4 (this is 3rd party)

Step by step methods to configure teaming using Broadcom Advance Control Suite 4 is below:

Step1:

Download Broadcom Advance Control Suite 4 from below link :

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_server.php 

Note: This will be under “Windows Management Applications” section on above link and download 64 (x64) bit version.

Step2: Extract downloaded .zip file and run “setup.exe” from extracted content.

Step3: Follow On-Screen instructions to complete installation.

You can access “Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 4” (BACS) various ways:

From Start Menu, it will be listed under Broadcom.

OR

go to the C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BACS folder and launch it

OR

Or go to Control Panel and launch BACS 4 from there. Or you can try launching System Tray as well.

Step4: Once BACS utility is launched, select the Network Card, you could confirm current drivers, firmware details.

Step5: To configure teaming, from the drop down menu choose “TEAM VIEW” and configure.

Regards,
Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Sandndan
Advisor

Thanks,

our key account manager told us the same. NCU is not supported anymore, because Windows 2012 is doing teaming and so on itselfes.

BACS is ok for 2008R2. You can use CLI and predefined teaming profiles too.

see BACScli.exe

Thanks a lot.

LAT15
Visitor

Gen9 DL360

HP Service Pack for ProLiant

9 Apr 2015

Nic driver:

Name:                  b57nd60a

Version:               16.6.0.1

Broadcom Suite

Name:                  BACS4

Version:               17.0.3.0              

NIC Teaming Issue

These stepsdo not work on our servers.

The BACS software starts but there are no options for creating a team from any view or menu.

tokenathlete
Occasional Visitor

@Sandndan wrote:

Hi community,

since one week we have new DL380 Gen9 servers. Now we want to install them as a Win 2008 R2 server, but we cannot create a NIC teaming.

If I install the HP NCO (Network Configuration Utility), cp023339.exe Version 10.90, I get

"The software will bot be installed on the system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to the system"

I updated driver / firmware of the NIC, searched any new HP Network Configuration Tools, nothing.

NIC: HP Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331i Adapter

Can someone help?

Many thanks

/Hugo

Pretty crappy to not support the NICs that are included on the server with the NCU!  I'm becoming disillusioned with HP.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

This looks like it might help

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0123456&sp4ts.oid=7252836

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
nicolasmonaco

Hello renji, 

broadcom control suite 4 is not avaialble on the website

do you have another way to fix this probléme ?

BEST

NICO

I opened a case with HP and here's the response and SOLUTION:

We would like to inform you that initially, with the release of Gen9 servers, NCU support for HP ProLiant Gen8 Servers was declared as End-of-Life (EOL) and would no longer be supported on HP ProLiant Gen9 Servers.However, with the update released on 04/20/2015, support for HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i and HP FlexFabric 10G 2-port 536FLB Adapter has been added to HP NCU.

The latest release of HP NCU (cp026060.exe) supporting HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapters is available on the following FTP site: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows/p1165903540/v106160

Please refer to the below document for reference.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04539182
[Moderator note: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/ ]

FaizalSalih
Occasional Advisor

No teaming utility from HP

But we can use windows teaming utility Win2012 server

Go to server manager /local server /nic teaming enable

select the nic to be teamed

Right click Add to new Team

Name the new team

In the advanced properties/ teaming mode to switchindependent.

Thats IT

KammererMakSim

Hello !

I have HP DL360 Gen9. And i install Windows Server 2008 R2. And i needed network team.

But HP NCU for W2k8 R2 not working on HP DL360 Gen9. And what ? And all :-)

I see this post, try install Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 4, but nothing - i do not see  filter "Team".

I try run from Control Panel like Administrator - nothing.

4 reboot server - nothing.

And now i find new, fresh and working version Advanced Control Suite 4 - http://www.necacom.net/index.php/broadcom/netlink/9069-broadcom-management-applications-installer-17-0-5-2

I install it and magic, i see  filter "Team" and i create team.

Welcome !