1748074 Members
5337 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML350 G3 Immediately Powers Off

OpAssists
Occasional Collector

ProLiant ML350 G3 Immediately Powers Off

I have a ProLiant ML350 G3 that was working fine in one building. I moved it (rather carefully I thought) to another location. When I hit the power button everything fires up for about 3 secs then shuts back down. I have replaced the motherboard and the CPU as well as the power converter module.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it be a bad power supply? The green light on the back of it is only on when I push the button, then turns off like the rest of the server. Not sure if that should be green at all times or not as I can not recall when it was working.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Yes you are right. It could be due to bad power supply. If you have redundant power supplies then try one at a time in different slot.

this article might help.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%25253Demr_na-c02964341%25257CdocLocale%25253Den&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

hope this helps,

Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

OpAssists
Occasional Collector

Not sure if this matches.. so before I go ordering a new powersupply this is what happens with the lights

Plug In

Front Power LED: Amber

Front Internal LED: Off (pulse symbol with box around it

Internal LED CR27: Green

Internal LED CR26: Off

Power Supply LED: Off

Press Power Button

Front LED: Green

Power Supply LED: Green

Failure Option 1 (2 secs after pressing power button) * this is what it was doing

Front LED: Amber

Internal LED CR27: Off

Power Supply LED: Off

Failure Option 2 (power cycles every 2 secs but not completly off) * this is what it is currently doing

Front Power LED: Amber

Front Internal LED: Red/Amber every 2 secs (pulse symbol with box around it)

Internal LED CR26: Red (blinks every 2 secs)

Power Supply LED: Green

Just want to verify before buying a new PS. 

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi

Good Information.

CR26  is NB alert LED. CR26 being RED indicates Memory problem. Not sure if you have Remote Insight Lights-Out Edition II installed and configured to login remotely to check integrated management logs for more information on failure.

make sure HP memory dimms are being installed. processor, memory, PPM's, and other components are seated properly. bring the server to base configuration with minimum set of memory etc.

Please let me know the outcome.

Click on Star Kudos if you think information provided is helpful.

Thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

OpAssists
Occasional Collector

Turns out it was either a bad CPU or  not seated properly. I took out the first and moved the second over and it started up, I havent tried the first one in the second slot yet as I am just happy its working.

*Spoke to soon, please read post below*

OpAssists
Occasional Collector

So apparently I jumped the gun on my its working.

Was doing a defrag of the drives and the whole system just shut down.

Can not turn it back on..  when I plug it in I get teh following

Lights front panel in order as I dont know all there names

UID: Off

Pulse with box around it: Off

Pulse with no box: RED

Network: Off (not plugged in)

Power: Green

CR26 is Sold Red

CR27 is Green

Really could use a break here.. any ideas on this?

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

missed this post.

Hope your issue is fixed.

front panel LED indicates : Power Supply issue

CR26 LED indicates : Memory or Internal Component issue.

Bring the server to base/minimum configuration (minimum memory,processor etc.), Clear the NVRAM from the H/w Switch.

Swap the memory around, swap the processors if possible

Please check the server Userguide/ service and Maintainence guide for replacement/reseating procedures.

Thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo