1753831 Members
8695 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

Spooky63
Occasional Visitor

ProLiant ML350 G5 Smart Array E200i battery failure

My server, which has been offline and unplugged for for a few months, is indicating that it needs a new Smart Array battery, now that I'm attempting to bring it back online. However, the SAS drive in slot 5 is no longer recognized, and the server will not boot. Can the dead battery cause such a problem? If so, will replacing the battery solve the problem, or do I need to reconfigure the array? Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

A BBWC battery which was offline for months, has lost its charge.  To charge a new battery, it will take atleast 24hrs.

Drive failure is not related to battery.

Your options are:

If battery does not charge and gives the same error, then replace the battery.

Replacing the battery will  not bring the drive 5 back online.

Regarding Drive 5, either it could be faulty or may be the backplane is faulty, try with a different spare drive in that slot.

Recreate Raid.

Refer to this article: HP ProLiant Servers - 1700/1701/1726/1728/1732/1748/1764/1793 and 1794 Array Accelerator Cache Battery (BBWC) or Capacitor (FBWC) Errors.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

waaronb
Respected Contributor

At most, a dead or discharged battery will disable the write caching on the controller. It should still operate as normal, with the exception of not being able to expand/extend/migrate existing arrays until the battery is replaced or charged.

If it's not seeing a drive at all, power off and reinsert the drive... it may not be fully seated, especially if you've moved that system around.

You mentioned it was unplugged for a while, so there's a good chance it got bumped some during that time or when plugging back in and the drive got knocked a little loose.

If you have other drives plugged in as well, hopefully they all work and it's just that one drive with a problem... otherwise it may indicate other issues like loose connectors inside.

When shipping machines or moving them between racks, it's always a good idea to pop the lid and give all the cables a quick check, see if any memory modules came loose, and then just bump the front of the drives to make sure they're fully inserted.