ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753835 Members
7226 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL380 G4 - Are sensors available?

StefanoBettega
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL380 G4 - Are sensors available?

Hi,

I'm running an ESXi 4.1 U3 on my DL380 G4. Unfortunately i uploaded the non-HP version, so it's a plain system already up and running with some hosts.

I was trying to have some more information about hardware sensor (i.e. hard drive/RAID status, temperature monitoring) directly in vSphere client. So that I installed latest HP bundle for ESXi 4.1 but in my hardware view no sensors appears as in attached image.

I wonder if there is anything special to do or if no sensor is shown as no sensor is present in my hardware.

Thanks in advance

[/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/][/]
[/] Stefano Bettega [/]
5 REPLIES 5
StefanoBettega
Occasional Visitor

Re: Proliant DL380 G4 - Are sensors available?

Hi , thanks for your answer.

Despite compatibility matrix, severla user reported that ESXi 4.1 U3 is actually running on DL380 G4, and so it is. Even the HP Management Agents for VMware ESX Server are installed, and this is reported by running vihostupdate.pl from vSphere CLI:

vihostupdate.pl --server myserveraddress -query
Enter username: xxxx
Enter password:

---------Bulletin ID--------- -----Installed----- ----------------Summary-----------------
ESXi410-201101224-UG          2012-08-15T05:28:50 vxge: net driver for VMware ESXi
ESXi410-201101223-UG          2012-08-15T05:28:50 3w-9xxx: scsi driver for VMware ESXi
hp-nmi-driver-1.0.02          2014-01-29T23:41:27 HP NMI Sourcing Driver for VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1
hpq-esxi4.1uX-bundle-1.4-26   2014-01-29T23:44:24 HP ESXi 4.1 Bundle 1.4-26

My doubt was: are sensor supported? If they are so, why I can't see them? Am I missing something to turn on/install? But if they were supported I could also see them from inside iLO, is it correct? And as I can't see them, probably they are not supported as you stated before. So there is no way to monitor server status than have a look on its front panel and/or iLO .

Thanks

[/] Stefano Bettega [/]
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

The concern is already the version of VMware installed is not supported on the DL380 G4

VMware Servers & Agents 3.X here is the link: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/supportmatrix/hpvmware.html

VMware 4.x Servers:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/supportmatrix/hpvmware.html

As you can see 4.x is not supported and well on there are no agents who monitored

StefanoBettega
Occasional Visitor

Ok, so do you think that reinstalling last supported 3.5 ESXi will I obtain all of the information I would like to read?

Thanks and regards

[/] Stefano Bettega [/]
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

Of course, once you install the supported operating system, you can have all the features that come with it.