ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748201 Members
2985 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant DL380 G7 power-up without pushing a button after a graceful shutdown.

charleshamel
Visitor

Proliant DL380 G7 power-up without pushing a button after a graceful shutdown.

I have a system with a R5500 UPS and DL380 G7 servers.  I understand how HPPM (management server and remote agent) will allow a graceful shutdown. My question is:

Is a configuration change necessary on the server to allow a power-up of the server when the UPS gives power back to its load segment (after a prolonged power outage where HPPM caused a graceful shutdown)? Or is the graceful shutdown done by HPPM different from manually doing a Windows shutdown, so it leaves the hardware ready to fire-up as soon as power comes back?

The only way that I know to power-up a machine after a graceful shutdown is to manually press the power button.

My question may seem stupid, but I really want to make sure I have every piece of the puzzle before submitting a plan and testing it. Please don't tell me to read the HPPM user guide: I have read it and didn't find my answer.

7 REPLIES 7
Bjoern13
Advisor

Re: Proliant DL380 G7 power-up without pushing a button after a graceful shutdown.

Hello,

you can configure the settings for a graceful shutdown and the restart in the "Power Fail" menu option.

As you probably already now, you can set the delay when the graceful shutdown should be initiated. And further in the right you have the option to set the delay for the restart (the available options are different for the UPS devices, so it is worth to check it, which options you have).

So, if you have an environment with servers and connected MSAs or EVAs and other storage, it would be recommended to first shutdown the server and then the attached storage. For the restart it is recommended to start backwards (especially if the servers have there OS on a LUN). So here you would restart first the storage components and then the servers to make sure that the server can boot to the OS. You can set this with the delay.

So if your attached servers have the remote agents installed, they can be restarted with the HPPM. You do not have to go to the servers yourself and have to press the power button.

(On a different subject: You can start Proliant Servers remotely as well, when they were shutdown, via iLO)

If you have servers running Windows Server 2008, please make sure that hibernation is deactivated, because this can lead to a hibernation or sleep state instead of a shutdown. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01702826&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=389240&prodTypeId=18964&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=389240

I know you did not want the user guide, but if you have further questions concerning the installation and setup, it has a quite detailed step by step guide for setting it up.

I do not know which Power Manager you are using, so here are two of them

HP Power Manager 3.0 User Guide

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/general/mgmt/ups/pm/PM_v30=333101-1.pdf

HP Power Manager User Guide (May 2012):

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01272419/c01272419.pdf

I hope that was at least a bit helpful.

Regards,

Bjoern

-----------------
I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

HPPM sends a shutdown command to the OS, and the OS will powerdown the server.

So for shutting down, its a matter of setting up HPPM.

Delay time: In the delay time, that you set, nothing happens. the UPS just wait, and if power is restored, during this time, the UPS will cancel shutdown (= it will not send shutdown).

When the delay time has ended, shutdown will be sent to the servers, and it will shutdown, even if power is restored.

For the server to power on, when power is restored, you must change the power settings for the server (As far as I remember).

You can do this in the BIOS setup and/or the ILo (I can't remember the full details, and its been at least 5 years, since I have worked with it. Could be some changes).

Depending on the UPS features, it might be able to shut down load segment individually. So consider where you connect each power supply.

If it has such a feature, and you have a server connected. PSU 1 to loadsegment 1 and PSU 2 to loadsegment 2. Then it will shutdown one of the loadsegments imidiatly, to preserve power (2 PSU's use more power than 1).

Also, if you have unmanged devices on a loadsegment, the segment will not shutdown, it will keep power supplied, untill it run out of power.

For a server to re-power automatically, the load segement must be powered off and then on again.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

charleshamel
Visitor

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Because I am a hardware guy, I would like to have one more clarification: do the Power Fail Settings in the HPPM configure the UPS or the Server or both? After a Graceful shutdown, the server is OFF, but the segment can still have power. Then the power goes down.  Then up again.  Is it the UPS that will send a serial command to turn on the server, or is the "Restart Delay" stored and used in the server itself?

Best regards,

Charles

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The settings are all programmed into the UPS.

You got 3 timers you can set, and they can be set individually for each loadsegment.

1. Shutdown delay.

2. Shutdown time.

3. Power on delay.

1. Shutdown delay: The UPS will do nothing, it will keep the server(s) running on the batteries. And if the power is restored within the shutdown delay time, it will do nothing, just keep the servers running.

Whne the delay time run out, the UPS will send the shutdown command, and its nonreversable.

2. Shutdown time: Is the time, that you tell the UPS, that the server(s) need for shutting down.

Once the shutdown time has gone, the loadsegment will shutdown (In my experience, several years ago, it will kep running, if there's unmanaged devices using power).

3. Power on delay: You can set the UPS to wait, for a period of time, before powering on the loadsements.

If you got more servers, you can "program" a power on sequence"

Power on of the servers: You set server to power on, when power is applied to a power supply, in the BIOS settings or through the ILo.

Its very simple, when power is applied to a PSU, the server will power on, like if you yank the powercord(s), and then put a powercord back, it will power on. It will not do this with the default setting.

You can run multible servers and other devices on the UPS. And it can shutdown multible servers.

It can communicate through Serial cable, USB cable og Network.

If you are using Serial or USB, you must install a relay agent, on the server that is connected to the UPS, so that it can forward the shutdown command.

Beware, if you need to shutdown multible servers, you must have network running!

Please note. It has been several years (Prior to fall of 2006), since  I have worked with this. So there could be some improvements, to my claims.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Bjoern13
Advisor

Hello Charles,

I think Greger already summed it up pretty good.

The signal comes from the UPS and is not stored in any kind on the server. You have to make sure that the devices are set in the acccording load segment. The storage devices (such as EVAs etc.) should be in a seperate load cycle since those are the ones which have to be powered on at first.

As Greger said as well beforehand, you have to make sure that the option in the RBSU is set, that the server powers on automatically. This can be set in the RBSU under the "Server availability". You should activate the "automatic power on" there.

Otherwise, Greger has already given all the information.

I hope this was helpful.

Best regards,

Bjoern

-----------------
I am an HP employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
charleshamel
Visitor

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.  One last thing I want to make sure I understand.  With the proper configuration, is this the behaviour of the server:

- UPS sends a serial command to gracefully shut down the server.

- Right after a graceful shutdown, the server still has power on its segment, but stays shut down.

- The UPS removes power from the segment.

- Nothing happens until power comes back and the power on delay is expired.

- The UPS puts power on the segment, which causes the server to start-up automatically (no serial command).

If I got this right, then I am good to go.

Best regards,

Charles

charleshamel
Visitor

Hi Bjoern,

One question about the Remote Agent: Let's say I only have 2 load segments on my UPS, but I need to shutdown 6 servers in a specific sequence with delay between each server, can I use a different "Estimated Time Required To Shut Down OS" in the Add Device window for each server on a segment to accomplish that?

Thank you,

Charles