ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752513 Members
4818 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL580 R7, RHEL-5.11 - LOM interfaces disappear after adding new NIC

Tom-C
Occasional Visitor

Proliant DL580 R7, RHEL-5.11 - LOM interfaces disappear after adding new NIC

I have an HP Proliant DL580 R7, with RHEL-5.11. Previous configuration: eth0 on NIC in slot 10 to public network, two HBA NICs in slots 3 & 5, and eth1 & eth2 in LOM ports on private network for Oracle RAC. We added a new 10 GB NIC to slot 11, nearest the PSU then ran HP firmware and driver updates to enable the new NIC. We rebooted and the new 10 Gb NIC works now, but the eth1 and eth2 have "disappeared" from the configuration (run ifconfig - error is "MAC address does not match"). We shutdown, removed the new NIC and rebooted, but still do not see eth1 and eth2. Our Oracle application will not start without the private network.
Current configuration is eth0 in slot 10, eth5 in slot 11, and two HBA's. eth1 and eth2 do not show up in ifconfig. They do show up in lspci.

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Proliant DL580 R7, RHEL-5.11 - LOM interfaces disappear after adding new NIC

Not sure if your RAC version is using this, but have a look at

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

This might be helpful too:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03231796&lang=en-us&cc=us

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Tom-C
Occasional Visitor

This RAC cluster does not have a /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file on any of the three servers.  There is a /etc/udev/rules.d/60-net.rules -- this is a REHL-5.11 OS.  I added two lines, one for each of eth1 and et2

KERNEL=="eth*".SYSFS{address}=="3c:4a:92:e4:e9:f4", NAME="eth1"

KERNEL=="eth*".SYSFS{address}=="3c:4a:92:e4:e9:f5", NAME="eth2"

I checked your reference, and https://access.redhat.com/solutions/495013# and https://access.redhat.com/discussions/916563# which handles devices differenetly than RHEL-5.x (i.e. there is no udevadm command or 70*.rules file)

but they both are about RHEL-6

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Not sure what exactly you added, but read this from user guide:

When installed on the SPI board, the HP NC524SFP Dual Port 10GbE Module provides two 10G NIC
connectors for server I/O. When the HP NC524SFP module is installed, 1G NIC connectors 1 and 2 on the
rear panel are unavailable.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Tom-C
Occasional Visitor

Thanks!!  Where did you find this?

Tom-C
Occasional Visitor

We shutdown, removed the new NIC and rebooted, but still do not see eth1 and eth2. Our Oracle application will not start without the private network.

Is there a way to remove the NIC, and return to the previous (working) configuration?