ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748175 Members
4199 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant GEN8 family integrated video card info.

MAlan
Occasional Contributor

Proliant GEN8 family integrated video card info.

Hello to all
have a question regarding the video memory on the integrated Matrox G200 that ships with the new GEN8 family of servers. On product bulletin it only shows the following

Graphics
Integrated Matrox G200 video standard

1280 x 1024 (32 bpp)
1920 x 1200 (16 bpp)

but there's no detailed info on the video memory itself.

anyone has a lead on this

thanks to all in advanced

6 REPLIES 6
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The G200 is embedded in the iLO chip and shares the same DDR3 memory. Only 16Mb is destinated to video.

Thanks for the info

really appreciate it

Aguiar1620
Occasional Advisor

Thank You Oscar.

however, in the post below exists a response informing you that the board has only 08MB of memory.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-HP-Consumer-Products-and-Technologies/Proliant-GEN8-family-integrated-video-card-info/td-p/1681317
waaronb
Respected Contributor

I don't know if this means anything, but if I run CPU-Z on a DL380P Gen8, the "Graphics" tab says 32 MBytes for the memory size.  The full GPU name shows as "Matrox G200eh (HP) WDDM 1.2" (I'm using the HP driver for what it's worth if that could affect that display string)

It's usually pretty good at reporting that kind of thing for CPU and main memory but I don't usually look at it's graphics card info.

The max resolution/BPP reported using the Server 2012 R2 driver from HP is 1600x1200 at 32BPP which seems like it would work with just 8 MB if all that memory was used just for the video.  I don't see any higher resolutions, but the quickspecs do say 1920x1200 @ 16BPP which is around 4.5 MB for those doing the math.  I don't have an actual monitor hooked up, I'm just looking at it through ILO's remote console which may limit what it thinks it's capable of.

They're not very sophisticated video cards since it's for a server, not a gaming rig... I guess 8MB wouldn't surprise me.  It also wouldn't surprise me if it had more, like the 32MB reported by CPU-Z, just not really available for use for high resolution @ 32 BPP.  It may use that extra memory for things besides a screen buffer, if the G200eh has any special processing ability at all (which it probably doesn't...).  It's GPU mark is pitiful, but again, it's a server so who cares.

Argentym
Occasional Visitor

Hyper-V on WS 2012 cares, it gives Event ID 32607 Error. The required GPU resources could not be accessed. This server cannot run as a RemoteFX host without a GPU. Verify that the GPU is correctly installed.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Good point.  If you're using this in a situation where your virtual machines need RemoteFX, then you might want a better GPU.  In that case, HP does have some supported optional graphics adapters.

I'm glad they don't include a fancy GPU as standard equipment since it would increase the cost, and most people don't have that requirement.  Well, I'm guessing most don't.  All of my VMs tend to be web servers, Linux, or whatever else, but nothing that needs a fast GPU.