ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753878 Members
7396 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant M110 G6 S.M.A.R.T error drive failure imminent: how to test on vm server?

parsen239

Proliant M110 G6 S.M.A.R.T error drive failure imminent: how to test on vm server?

I have spent days trying to figure out why my vms started failing to boot or connect and notice this error started appearing after a linux install.

It says something like SMART error detected on drive 0.  Drive failure imminent and names the drives code.

The drive does appear to be running slowly but I'm wondering if there is a way to test the drive on the machine?

There is only Esxi 4.0 installed there and there are no log errors in it.

I can't find any tools in the Phoenix Bios (027) that would allow me to test.

Also, all of the HP other tools appear to be OS dependent.

Or am I wrong on that? The machine is only a year old Seagate 250gb Barracuda.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
shooreg
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant M110 G6 S.M.A.R.T error drive failure imminent: how to test on vm server?

This message means that drive error statistics have reached the treshhold, and at any time now drive can fail permanently. If your server is still in warranty, you should call HP support for a drive replacement.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You can try to boot from the easy setup cd and to create an ACU report, wich will show, if there are some hard drive errors.

Here is the link for the Easy Setup CD

URL: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3984625&swItem=MTX-690b0d2357594d9c918c5dfebc&prodNameId=3984626&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You can also use the Smart Start CD for the larger Proliants. Boot on it, and run Insight diagnostics.

From download drivers and software.

Select ei a DL360 G6

Download the Smart Start CD.

Also download the Tool for creating a bootable USB memory stick.

Extract the CD, by double clicking it. - Now you've got an ISO file.

Insert a mem stick min. 2 GB.

Install and run the USB tool.

select the mem stick, and browse to the ISO file.

Boot the server on the mem stick.

Select the maintenance fan.

run the insight diagnostics from here.

I have run it on previous generations of the DL140, I expect it will still work on the 100 series.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

Dr_Ing_Sosa
Frequent Advisor

In this case ML110 without a RAID controller I would run Seagate Seatools software to diagnose the drive. You can download a bootable image from their site. But in any case I assure you it will fail the test. Get the drive replaced ASAP.