1748051 Members
5046 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML110 G6 now has no video

ITPros
Frequent Advisor

Proliant ML110 G6 now has no video

A customer reports that now he has no video on his 1.5 year old ML 110 G6 running Windows 2008 R2 x64 and running as a basic SQL + file server.  He has no AD or DNS setup. 

He adds, "The way I have it setup is to have the video stay on permanently (no black out period after a certain time or screensaver) and there is no sleep or settings to turn of the machine. It's basically set to stay on 24/7. When I try to access my shares over the network through a desktop, it doesn't respond, so when I physically head over to the server there is no video coming out of the graphics card. I also tried logging in through Logmein on the machine and I can't access the server that way either. I have to basically have to power off the machine by hold the power button for 5 seconds and restart it.

I've been doing this for a few months already without a solution. I tried to update the video drivers from the stock Microsoft ones (since HP doesn't have any on their support site) to the Matrox G200e ones that I found on Google. It still does the same problem and I'm not sure what else I can do. The server is pretty basic with low load (4 to 5 users on the network).

SQL: Microsoft SQL Server 2005"

He was advised to check the logs and his response was, "The logs just stated event id #41, from source kernel-power...."  We would appreciate the input of the HP server experts here today.

8 REPLIES 8
Abhishek Bangalore
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

I would suggest you to connect a different Monitor and check for the occurence of the issue.

If, the issue persists please clear NVRAM by changing switch number 6 in system management switch 

Thanks

Abhishek Sharma

Help other's for Better Tomorrow

I am an HP Employee
SivaTS
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I understand that this system run 24/7; just wanted to ensure if we have sufficient cooling. Hope there are no obstacles in the air flow/FAN etc, as high temperature/heat may cause such hang behaviour.

Could we get the complete event log to have a check in detail.

Regards,

Siva

I am an HP Employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
SivaTS
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

The following link/article explains event id #41

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14246.kernel-power-event-id-41.aspx

As per this doc, considering our scenario..

To help isolate the problem, check the following items:

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system
is run at the correct speed.

2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory
chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3. Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle
the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives,
or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply
can provide consistently.

4.Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal
temperature of the hardware.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Siva

I am an HP Employee.

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
infinexus
Occasional Visitor

Thanks guys for the responses.  I didn't know there was a post on here in regards to my issue. I'm the person that is having the issue with the HP G6 ML110 server.  I already tested the RAM with memtest86 v4.20 and there were NO issues with the memory.

I will try to clear the NVRAM and see if it fixes the problem.  There is NO monitor hooked up to the server, so I don't think it's a monitor issue.  The network (file shares) also die with the video doesn't come out.  It seems like the server just stops responding to everything. 

infinexus
Occasional Visitor

@SivaTS wrote:

Hi,

The following link/article explains event id #41

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14246.kernel-power-event-id-41.aspx

As per this doc, considering our scenario..

To help isolate the problem, check the following items:

1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system
is run at the correct speed.

2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory
chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3. Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle
the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives,
or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply
can provide consistently.

4.Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal
temperature of the hardware.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Siva

1.  The machine is not overclocked, it was exactly how I got it from HP.

2.  The memory was tested with Memtest86 v4.20 and there were NO errors with the RAM.

3.  I can check the power supply to see how many watts it is but the only thing changed was the RAM, everything else is

the same from factory. 

4.  I will check the ventalation for the server, to see if it's overheating or not. 

If replacing the ram causes the power supply to not have enough power, then HP is using some crappy power supplies.  I mean, yes the power requirements might change but I don't think it's as drastic as adding more hard drives or a PCI-E card into the system.  It's just a stick of memory. 

Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Hello ,

Log system :

41 Critical None Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

• Event ID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shut down first. This error can occur if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Action plan :

-       Update the server ( SPP ) .

-       bios configuration :

BIOS :

-       Maximum performance

-       C-states -> no C-states

-       HP Power regulator -> HP Static High Performance Mode 

i advise to call the technical support  for more investigation.

I am an HP employee
infinexus
Occasional Visitor

@Med-H wrote:

Hello ,

Log system :

41 Critical None Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

• Event ID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shut down first. This error can occur if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Action plan :

-       Update the server ( SPP ) .

-       bios configuration :

BIOS :

-       Maximum performance

-       C-states -> no C-states

-       HP Power regulator -> HP Static High Performance Mode 

i advise to call the technical support  for more investigation.

Will HP provide support for a server that has expired warranty?  That's the only reason why I didn't call because the warranty on the machine has expired already.

Med-H
Frequent Advisor

Hi infinexus ,

You got an HP product and that's what matters .  we will help you to resolve the issue if you call the technical support even if  the warranty  has already expired ..

You are a part of HP family so don't worry :)

I am an HP employee