108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Raid fails are disk change

ozydave
Occasional Contributor

Raid fails are disk change

ProLiant ML150 G2 – Windows 2003 standard
Raid Controller adaptec 2610sa with 4 160gb drives in raid 5 config
HP Storage Manager Agent reported a failed drive. I checked the server and saw a constant amber light on the drive. (the first one in the array at the bottom). Then the server shut down. I pulled the drive and replaced it with a 250gb one (new). Restarted the server. During the start up no raid was found, it then said that the bios was not installed and went into a network boot.
I shut down the server, put the old drive back in (I had put the suspect drive into another HP server and it seemed to work fine)
I again restarted the server. This time the raid was found but it came up on the screen “drive is missing or degraded”. The restart got and far as “windows is starting “. It then came up with an error
“Lsass.exe – system error security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following: directory services cannot start. Error status 0x00002e1. Please click OK to shut down this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information”
Another normal restart – the above error still came up but there was another window in the background saying “active directory is rebuilding indices” but seemed to stay on this
Another restart but this time into directory services restore mode. The server is now running in this mode. The light on the suspect drive is now a constant green, the other drives are flashing green.
The HP storage manager shows the RAID controller and it says all drives in the array are ‘optimal’. But is says that the logical drive is degraded.
While in this restore mode I thought I would hot swap the suspect drive and allow the raid to rebuild. As soon as I pulled the first drive in the array the server went into a blue screen and shut down. Again put the suspect drive back in and again the server is running in directory services mode.
Why can’t I just swap the first drive in the array? Is active directory broken?

Any help would be great?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator