1748165 Members
3548 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

SAS HDD LEDs not working

Chris Mosentine
Advisor

SAS HDD LEDs not working

Hi all:  I have an old DL385 G2 server.  Three of the hard drives do not have functioning LEDs.  These are in ports 1,2 and 3.  I have three other drives in ports 6,7 and 8 that do have functioning LEDs.  I bought a replacement SAS backplane but it did not solve the issue.  Anyone have a solution to fix this (short of replacing the server).

Thanks, Chris.

7 REPLIES 7
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: SAS HDD LEDs not working

From ACU can you see the drives ok?  Are those ones a part of any volumes/arrays?  Drives that are not configured as part of an array will not light any LED's.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Chris Mosentine
Advisor

Bob, thanks for the reply.  Regarding your questions, all drives are accounted for in ACU and are healthy.  The array controller (P400) is healthy as well.  It almost behaves like I turned off some setting so that the LEDs would remain un-lit.  I have a hard time believing two backplanes had the same three LEDs burned out.

I just ran a simple test.  Since drive slots 4 and 5 are unused, I placed a spare drive into each slot to see if the LEDs would lite.  Slot 4 failed but slot 5 worked.  So it now appears the 1/2 of the backplane LEDs (1-4) are non-functional while 5-8 work fine.

Chris

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Perhaps check the cable seating for the two SAS cables?  You could swap them around to test the cables as well (just be sure to swap both ends).

-Bob

----------------
LouisH
Valued Contributor

I know on the older SCSI backplanes, it was very easy to seat, or reseat a disk drive and break the LED's on the backplane.....

R,

Louis

Chris Mosentine
Advisor

I will try swapping the cables first change I get.  However, I am not sure they are the same length.

Chris Mosentine
Advisor

Update to my LED issue.  When I reboot the server, and as the drives get initiated, all the LEDs (blue and green) DO LIGHT UP.  After that only drives in bays 5-8 work properly.  This has to be a software/copnfiguration/setting issue as the LEDs obviously work.

Chris

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

If I recall, whenever you select a drive within the ACU screen that drive's UID LED lights up.  Does that happen with these drives?

-Bob

----------------