6891 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Second raid controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ernesto Hernandez

Second raid controller

I recently unpack an DL580G2 server but it has two hard drives and a second raid controller, i want know how can i make an raid 1+0 with one hard drive configured in each raid controler (Smartarray 5i and Smartarray 6402)

Thanks for your valuable help.
ehernandezmacias
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Second raid controller

Hi,

besides, that raid10 does not make too much sense on two disks, you would have to do it on os level, because it is cross controller.
Why do you want to use both controllers?

greetings,

Michael
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You cannot really do RAID 1+0 with two disks - normally you need at least four! Why? Mirroring requires at least two object and striping requires at least two objects, too. 2*2=4.

Well, I have been told that a controller made by Mylex can do it with 3 disks, but this is not a 'clean' software layering, I think. I'll attach a small .TXT file to illustrate the layout as far as I have understood it.

Michael has already said that you would need help from the operating system to do the upper RAID level between the controllers, because they cannot access each other's disks. With only one disk behind each RAID controller you can present them as a JBOD (just a bunch of disks) to the host.

I doubt that the SmartArray controllers allow you to partition a disk and mirror or stripe both parts - it does not make sense anyway.
Ernesto Hernandez

thanks friends for your inmediate response.
Then i going to use the two hard disk with the integrated array controller (Smartarray 5i) making an hardware mirror raid

Thanks again.
ehernandezmacias