ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752564 Members
4482 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Server monitor output shows black and white vertical lines, cannot RDP . 3 HD's showing failed.

milesmeridith

Server monitor output shows black and white vertical lines, cannot RDP . 3 HD's showing failed.

My DL380 G5 had three hard drives with amber lights showing failed. I removed the 8th one since its fan was making a really loud noise. After removing it everything on the server still seemed to work fine. I went to RDP the next day and I couldn't get into it anymore. I tried hooking up a monitor and keyboard and the output is black and whiter vertical stripes most of the time. Sometimes it changes to other crazy output. If I hook my computer up to it via ethernet and run Wireshark I don't see any broadcast coming from it even when I reboot it. I tried putting in the smartstart disc and booting to that. When I did that the server started sending DHCP requests. It got an IP and I could ping it but still can't RDP into it. I'm assuming because it's booted to the disc. I"m not sure what else to do. It has an ILO port that I am not sure is setup. Will investigate that next. Any advice is greatly appreciated. One of my questions is about the three HD's that are failed. They are in slots 1,7, and 8. Would that effect OS performance? I'm not sure the RAID setting which I know is probably vital to answer that question.

1 REPLY 1
Joaragon
Advisor

Re: Server monitor output shows black and white vertical lines, cannot RDP . 3 HD's showing failed.

Three failed drives usually mean a failed RAID, I would suspect you have no windows anymore. Smart Start will not work through RDP. You would have to connect your crash cart and check the array with the ACU included in Smart Start if it's failed you're up for a rebuild...