1752786 Members
5878 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 6400 Accelerator Battery Failures

Tom123
Advisor

Smart Array 6400 Accelerator Battery Failures

I have had a number of DL380G3 servers all with 6400 Smart Array controllers fitted in which the server is reporting a battery failure.The fix as advised by HP was to upgarde the firmware on the controller to the latest version v2.34 which worked in some cases but not all.Changing the battery as well as upgrading the controller firmware solved the problem.I am now getting the same errors again less that 4 months later.The issue as stated by HP is that there is a "False reporting issue".So does that mean the battery is fine but the server is misreporting (Agents misreporting ?)When i reboot the server i get a post error saying "battery low".

These batteries should last at least 3 years so i dont think there is a battery issue as such.The firmware was up to date at the time so do i have to update the firmware again.

If so why.....if you can help that would be good.
I change a battery on a server in which the firmware which was v2.34 and has been working fine,the battery then failed as reported by insight manager.I replaced the battery recently and the battery is still showing failed in insight manager.

22 REPLIES 22
Tom123
Advisor

Re: Smart Array 6400 Accelerator Battery Failures

A bit surprised at the lack of response to this issue,I was hoping that others had experienced the same problem.One of the server's in question is reporting the battery as recharging and has been doing so for the past 2 weeks.The other server is reporting a failed battery,although the firmware on the controller was upgraded to v2.43 and fitted with a new battery.
christine betz

Hello,

we have nearly the same problem with a ML350G3 and a smart array 6400.
Did you solve the problem up to now?

Thanks
Christine
Sven Rubach

Hello,
We have the same problem using Proliant ML570G2 including Smart Array 6400 controller. We use Firmware 2.34 and have since a long time the Accelertor temp. disabled caused by the battery status is : "Recharging". We changed the battery and this new battery is since them still Recharging.
I will try to install Firmware 2.58A to solve this hopefully.
If it works then I will write a new replay of this forum. So long
Sven Rubach

Hello,

I have updated smart array controller Firmware to version 2.58 and it works.
So long !
Tom123
Advisor

Thanks for all the replies.
The HP advisory suggests that both batteries
should be replaced at the same time.The battery on the array accelerator and the battery on the controller.
I have kept the firmware to 2.34 as it was working fine and replaced both batteries as suggested.All is now ok.
Frogman
Frequent Advisor

Hi All

Please note new firmware avlb for the 6402/6404/641/642

2.68 A 20 Jun 06

It is mandatory to update to this version as it would pro-activly save you many man hours and possible downtime.

Cheers
Froggy
Phil Helme

Having a major problem with ML370, and saw this thread regarding the battery status showing failled. The server will not start up, initially got the blue screen OD but now gets to a DHCP search and then says no system disk is present, but when using the diagnostic on smartstart shows no problems at all, except that there are no logical disks available!!!! Might be barking up the wrong tree here but how do I update the firmware for the offline smart array 641/642?
Sven Rubach

Hello,

you can download the latest offline firmwareupdate from HP websites. You will find a desciption how to use this frimwareupdate.
You have to copy the cpxxxxx.exe file to a blank floppy disk (really blank - no other files).
Boot from smartstart CD and choose maitenance.
superdave_1

i get the same thing, replaced the battery but it still shows replaced battery, does this affect the performance of the controller card cause i have noticed lately that the speed seems to have slowed down, or is it just in case the power is lost