ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751974 Members
5199 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 641 unreliable on ML370G4 - what to replace it with?

Tony Groves
Occasional Collector

Smart Array 641 unreliable on ML370G4 - what to replace it with?

I have an ML370G4 which has been having problems recently with random freezes (current MTBF 2 days), and I notice that when it is frozen, one of the status LEDs (the rightmost of 8, marked MSB) on its Smart Array 641 controller is turned amber, so I'm assuming I need to replace that board. First, am I right? Second, that particular controller seems to be discontinued for a long time, so does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should replace it with?

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Marko71
Frequent Advisor

Re: Smart Array 641 unreliable on ML370G4 - what to replace it with?

HI Tony,

This could be a number of issues, here are a couple of things to try before spending any cash.

1: move the 641 to another alot.

2: Reseat the SCSI cables.

3: If it's got the 128MB cach upgrade module & you arent running any RAID 5 arrays try removing this module and leaving it to run off the onboard 64mb read cache.

4: Run the smart array diagnostics for your o/s and see if the board has captured any historical errors that might point to a likely culprit.

If none of these work then replacement 641/642 controllers are available on eBay these days for pennies as ar the beefier 6402's.  The other less desirable option is that the nmotherboard is faulty & these still command a fair price.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark 

Tony Groves
Occasional Collector

Re: Smart Array 641 unreliable on ML370G4 - what to replace it with?

Thanks a lot.

I'll take advantage of downtime to try those things one by one, and I've bought a used controller as well, which will be handy to have anyway.

Tony.