ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748006 Members
4718 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Storage Administrator doesn't detect array controllers Proliant ML10 gen9 (838124-425)

citizen_UA
Occasional Advisor

Smart Storage Administrator doesn't detect array controllers Proliant ML10 gen9 (838124-425)

I have Proliant ML10 gen9 (838124-425) just from the box.

I prepared CD with Smart storage Administrtor to create RAID1 but it says "No controllers detected". Then I prepared USB using HP tool with SPP 04.2016 but says "2.822161J i8042: No controller found" and after that nothing is happening.

Please help me with it. I'm going crazy...

13 REPLIES 13
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Smart Storage Administrator doesn't detect array controllers Proliant ML10 gen9 (838124-425)

The ML10 Gen9 uses the Intel RST SATA RAID controller. HPE SSA only recognises controllers in the Smart Array family. This document explains how to setup the system.

Setting Up and Configuring Intel AMT and RAID Volumes on HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Servers

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1008686780&docId=emr_na-c04996527&docLocale=en_US

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Smart Storage Administrator doesn't detect array controllers Proliant ML10 gen9 (838124-425)

According to the quickspecs this server has no smart array controller, hence HPE SSA cannot find one.

This is a controller chip from Intel, I assume you can mange it from BIOS.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
citizen_UA
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply! But in the very begining I started exactly from this point.

In the result - starting installation with VMware 6.0  Installer I recieve dialog about the place for installation, and it says that I have two sata per 1 Gb each but not one drive per 1 Gb as I am expecting after setting up RAID.

Or it is normal?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You may check the user guide for correct cabling:

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1008686780&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04960468

Maybe you have another optional controller installed (H241)? Likely not.

But maybe you can use the disks as a RAID or as plain disk if connected to the Intel chip ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

For this RAID to function you need a driver. The ML10 Gen9 is not listed on the VMware from HPE Certification and Support page as a supported server. http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx#.V72wjk32bDA

You could try adding in the supported HBA which uses the standard hpsa smart array driver

citizen_UA
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for reply! Cables are ok....

citizen_UA
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your advise! But it doesn't make me understand what exactly to do...

I tryed to install custom HPE ESXi Image - same result.

How and where should I put this driver, and maybe stupid question, but wich exactly driver should find... 

I'm totally crazy with it for last two days.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't know that there is a driver for ESXi. This server is not listed as certified and supported to run VMware products.  You could try using an H240 HBA, but that controller isn't listed as supported in this model server

citizen_UA
Occasional Advisor

Not very happy to hear it, but what if you are right and I have H240 HBA inside, how can I install the driver without system?

And is there any possibility to check what kind of controller is inside?