1748073 Members
5226 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

SmartStart 8.5 Incompatible with WS2k8 R2 and ML350 G5

Nospamjunk

SmartStart 8.5 Incompatible with WS2k8 R2 and ML350 G5

Hello HP,

I've used the latest SmartStart 8.5 to install Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Full (and separately Core) on a HP Proliant ML350 G5.  The installation goes along fine, but when Windows loads from the hard drive for the first time, it errors out with a message "BOOTMGR is missing" which appears immediately after POST.

However, if I boot from the WS2k8 R2 DVD and go through a regular Windows Server installation process, everything is fine!  Windows boots fine.  All is good.

Well, expect then I have to manually install PSP and miss out on the automated install benefits of SmartStart.

Obviously, there is something wrong with the SmartStart 8.5 and the combination of WS2k8 R2 and the ML350 G5.

Would you please fix.  I have many more ML350 G5 servers to upgrade to WS2k8 R2.

HP ML350 G5
Product ID: 412644-B21

HP Firmware Update CD v9.10B applied before installing WS2k8 R2.
HP SmartStart v8.50
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Core and GUI both installed. Both failed with same error message.

----------------------------------

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers --> Proliant - Net Servers to Servers --> Proliant (ML,DL,SL), Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
tonyspen
Occasional Visitor

Re: SmartStart 8.5 Incompatible with WS2k8 R2 and ML350 G5

Same here;

HP ML370 G5
Product ID: 417445-371

HP Firmware Update CD v9.10B applied before installing WS2k8 R2.
Also on Previous firmware

HP SmartStart v8.50.

Try testing before releasing.

How long does it take to get a junior to use your Smartstart disk in every machine you say you support..

Alot less time than the 4 hours every customer wastes.

We now have no profit margin. Thanks

rodger myles
Advisor

I've had this meaasage before and was something to do with the RAID not being configured in the BIOS correctly.

PS I can't even use 8.5 on my ML115 G5 server! It doesn.t seem to be a download. Not only that the CD that came with the server warned not to use it if RAID was being used! HP is not good at replying I've found but have you registered on their business help section?

LVArchitect

Same problem here on BL460c.  Going to resort to OS install then PSP.

RASHMI
Trusted Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for participating in HP Forums!

We have consult this issue with the related Servers Storage & Networking expert, for which they came with the response that if the SATA RAID mode is on these servers, then it is not supported. And if it is triggering the unsupported pre-Tanzanite SATA RAID mode where the disks would look different between Windows and Linux without the Tanzanite driver then the installation wouldn’t work.

Please let me know if you have any clarifications/doubts on this response.

Thanks & Regards,

Rashmi

Forum Moderator

Thanks,
Rashmi
Forum Moderator
fmpeck

Thought this was the purpose of SmartStart. In other words, it should download the drivers so that a successful install of Windows Server 2008 R2 could take place without incident. Is this problem fixed in the lastest version?

jimmygrec
Occasional Advisor

We had the same problem. According to one of my bench tech's, the SmartStart CD that ships; which is technically the same verson that you can download, works fine.  There must be a problem with the posted ISO.

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Without wanting to state the obvious, you are using the 64bit version of the SmartStart CD / PSP and not the 32bit version?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)