108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart CD for Windows Server 2008

SOLVED
Go to solution
Melinda Cooper
Frequent Advisor

Re: SmartStart CD for Windows Server 2008

Yes, I'm seeing the same problem. After attempting to install W2K8 Enterprise Edition in our test lab several times and coming up with this error in the answer file, I see others are having the same problem. Since it's been a few days I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.
I'm using SmartStart V8. I'm installing on a DL360, G4 with 4 gb of memory.
Peter K.

I can't seem to get past the error looking for the media. Getting error "invalid entry: /mount/dvd/". I have successfully stumped support on this. Hopefully they will take this back to the SmartStart team and have the entire 8.0 CD re-evaluated.

I will post here IF I get a resolution.
Melinda Cooper
Frequent Advisor

I'll anxiously wait to here. I checked with Microsoft and they refer to the KB article 934308 which really isn't any help.

Just type "/mount/dvd" and it will fix the issue. We tried it in our lab and works fine.
Norm G

Same boat here, tried both the Smart Start 8 CD that came with my new DL380 G5, as well as the downloaded SmartStart CD ISO downloaded 5/15/08 - neither one will accept either of two diff copies of Win2008 x64 Enterprise w/o Hyper-V.

The "/mount/dvd" or "/mount/dvd" does NOT work for me.

One wonders if anyone at HP bothered to actually test SmartStart 8.00 with a Win2008 DVD before they released it, and how the heck SS 8.00 has been out nearly two months with no fix for this. Ridiculous.

While we all wait for someone at HP to wake up, here's the interim solution for a new installation on HP server:

1) Configure array (either with F8 key to enter BIOS rom of array controller, or by booting SmartStart DVD)

2) Boot Windows 2008 off DVD and install

3) Install PSP 8.0 (Product Support Pack) - which installs all drivers.

Net effect is the same as doing it with SmartStart, minus the small DOS partition that SS creates.

-N.G.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

people

look what I did maybe I have some extra time(lab time)
see attached to understand what I mean

there is a screen that says:

Please insert DVD media and press continue

you will get this screen before you have to write down: /mount/dvd/

OK OK
if you click continue without removing Smartstart CD (either physically or ilo) and write /mount/dvd/ you will get that message:
invalid entry

But but and only when you remove your Smartstart CD - insert your Windows DVD wait few seconds (as usual when you mount DVD-CDROM...) and click continue...

you just write /mount/dvd/ and will work

I tested 2 scenarios

conclusion:
follow that screen(instructions) I attached you wont have problems

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarenML
Occasional Contributor

While it may have worked for you in two scenarios, it is still not working for most of us. I will try submitting an incident and let HP try it out in an environment other than your lab.

Regards,

Karen
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well my lab is an HP lab I work for HP
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

agree with Karlo

Karlo's response is appropriate as we have tried it in Our labs too and seems to work fine on multiple servers here.