ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753529 Members
4878 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart blank screen DL360 G5 Server

Allen George

I have the same problem with a ML350 G5. I updated the BIOS to the latest version and it made no difference. I took out the second processor (per suggestion in this thread) and SmartStart ran fine. Once the system was built (Server 2003 Enterprise x64) I put the the second processor in and everything appears to work fine.

But.... I built a ML350 G5 a couple of weeks ago and did not have a problem with SmartStart.

Still makes me wonder what is going on though. I fear there may still be some underlying problems that have not surfaced yet.

Any further thoughts on why SmartStart won't run with the second processor installed?
Pharris_1

Okay everyone you'll be please to know that I have resolved the issue but it was a bit weird.

Built the server to win2003 with one processor with no problems

Added the second processor and the server would reach the Win2003 screen where it detects the hardware and then it would reboot, and would loop in this fashion, reaching the same point and rebooting.

I then swapped the 2 processors over and rebooted and it booted without any problems.

I had two identical servers with exactly the same issue and this fix worked for both.

No idea why this would happen as I had been swapping the processors around thinking that one of the 4 was faulty but they all worked fine individually.

It was only the swapping between slots that appeared to fix this.

Hopefully that's helpful and makes sense to everyone.

Doug_134

Check out this advisory.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01293621&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Advisory: SYSTEM ROM UPDATE RECOMMENDED: Mixed Stepping Processor Configurations May Cause a Linux Kernel Panic in Some ProLiant Servers