3638 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrade from B140i to P440AR

fbechoux
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade from B140i to P440AR

Hi folks,

I have a Proliant ML350 Gen9 that was shipped with B140i Raid Controller. We installed ESXi on it, very bad performance, so we will upgrade the controller to a P440AR. 

If I move the cables from B140i to P440AR, will the RAID also follow without damages or will it be destroyed?

Thanks for your help.

Fred

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi Fred,

When the controller series are changed, the RAID has to be configured again as the controller family are different. More over, RAID on B140i Raid Controller is software RAID. Also, when in Gen9 server series, not all operating systems are supported on UEFI mode. 

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@TVVJ wrote:

Hi Fred,

When the controller series are changed, the RAID has to be configured again as the controller family are different. More over, RAID on B140i Raid Controller is software RAID. Also, when in Gen9 server series, not all operating systems are supported on UEFI mode. 

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

Your answer is incorrect. The RAID stack on the B140  is indeed software RAID, but it IS compatible with the 'P' series Smart Array controllers.  This has been true since the release of the B120i in Gen8. Drives originally configured as RAID on Gen8 / Gen9 'B' series controllers can be moved to a 'P' series Smart Array without data loss.

Standard discalimer:

Backup, and backup often when your messing around with your disks or controllers

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
piuscran
Visitor

please how can i do the upgrade without losing data