ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752790 Members
6218 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which MIB defines temperature, fan, power supply notifications?

msully_1
Occasional Contributor

Which MIB defines temperature, fan, power supply notifications?

I've got Proliant 360's and 380's that I need to track environmental data for. I'm using hp-ilo/hp-health/hp-snmp-agents to poll the cpqhlth mib for data, but I don't see where any notifications are defined. What MIB defines the notifications that are sent by a Proliant machine when temp thresholds are exceeded or fans fail?

Do I need another RPM to provide this capability?

Thanks,
Mike
8 REPLIES 8
Charlie Hawkins2
Frequent Advisor

I believe this full capability will need HP-SIM, please correct me if wrong.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

The HP MIB Kit can be downloaded here
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/mibkit.html

Dunno which OS you are using, with Linux in case of a event I get
1) a entry in syslog
2) a trap to the destination as defined in snmpd.conf
3) a email to root
and that's without any special configuration.
msully_1
Occasional Contributor

Michael - thanks for the reply. I'm running Centos 5.3. The MIB Kit you point to seems to require HP SIM, which I was trying to avoid since it seems like a lot more packages than I really need. I was hoping hp-snmp-agents would be enough to have notifications sent but if so, I'm missing some kind of configuration item.

I did find that the environmental notifications were defined in cpghlth, same place as the object IDs, but just dlmod'ing that module does nothing (apparently) for alerts.

Thanks,
mike
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Although the MIB Kit is primarily intended for HP SIM, the MIB file format is standardized: any program that can read the MIB files can use the MIB Kit.

The MIB Kit does include a lot of MIBs, and not only for HP and Compaq hardware: it includes some for e.g. Cisco, Brocade, IBM and VMware too.

It may be useful to know that before the HP-Compaq merger, the Proliant product line was Compaq's. Changing the standardized names of the MIBs after the MIB has been introduced seems to be very difficult or impossible, so the appropriate MIBs still carry the Compaq name.

If by "notifications" you mean SNMP traps, then the cpqhlth.mib contains the definitions. That MIB depends on (= imports stuff from) some other MIBs, so you must have these MIBs available too:
- RFC1155-SMI (rfc1155-smi.mib)
- RFC-1212 (rfc1212.mib/rfc-1212.mib)
- RFC1213-MIB (rfc1213.mib/rfc-1213.mib)
- RFC-1215 (rfc1215.mib/rfc-1215.mib)
- CPQHOST-MIB (cpqhost.mib)
- CPQSINFO-MIB (cpqsinfo.mib)

The thermal trap names all have the "cpqHe" prefix: for example, cqpHeThermalSystemFanFailed or cpqHeThermalCpuFanFailed for fan failures, or cpqHeThermalTempDegraded and cpqHeThermalTempFailed for exceeding temperature thresholds.

MK
MK
msully_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone, I've managed to receive traps on my remote trap destination from the Proliant box using only the following RPMs:
hp-OpenIPMI
hp-ilo
hp-health
hp-snmp-agents

Which is exactly what I was hoping to do - it was a configuration file mismatch.

Thanks for all of the help!
Kamlakar

Hi,

How can poll power supply, temperature and fan stats after installing hp-health and hp-snmp-agents on DL380 G9 server?

Is there any specific configuration require for this?

Do we need to copy cpqhlth.mib file somewhere on the server?

When I run snmpwalk command as follows, I do not see info about power supply, fan, temperature etc.

snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.232

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Kamlakar

Aftab1
Occasional Contributor

Can someone help me with this , I am struggling to get this sorted. I am trying to get Powersupply, Fan and Temperature for ProLiant DL380 G7 MIBs, I have tried all the ones mentioned in this discussed and it doesn't show when i add it on monitoring tool.

Aftab Ashiq
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Aftab1

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, we would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo