ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753356 Members
5048 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: boot with an IDE HD on Proliant ML310 (first generation)

pablo_67

boot with an IDE HD on Proliant ML310 (first generation)

I'm trying to boot a proliant ML310 first generation with an IDE hard drive. The problems begin when the proliant try to start with the "non present" SCSI hard disc. This is a good reason for non start :).
I' hope somebody can help me or refferme some document. Thanks a lot

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
Marc Carney
Valued Contributor

Re: boot with an IDE HD on Proliant ML310 (first generation)

The ML310 came with both SCSI and ATA options but all have an IDE connection for the CDROM which will always be bootable.

First try connecting the hard drive in place of the CDROM, set the HDD jumpers to 'cable select'. Boot from something like Win 9x startup floppy disk or Dos 6.22 boot disk and try to partition the HDD using FDISK, this will confirm that you can see the IDE hard drive.

To boot up from the IDE disk I would look in the ROM based setup at the Boot Order, you need to give the ATA/IDE drive or controller a higher priority than the SCSI controller. It may help during trials if you disable the SCSI controller completely but of course that's no use if you want to use that too in the longer term.

Your Spec can be found at:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11446_div/11446_div.HTML

Hope this helps

Marc
The sheep tell me what I need to know