ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753846 Members
7620 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

change disks in a storageworks 5i array

Guy Salernitano

change disks in a storageworks 5i array

I've got a DL380 G3 with 2 internal 36Gb disks in a single logical drive mirror using the internal storageworks 5i controller.
I would like to change these 2 36Gb disks for a pair of 18Gb disks. I cannot find a way to migrate the array to another pair of disks using any of the RAID migration/resizing options offereed by the controller.
These are the system disks and I have no great desire to reinstall the W2KAS OS.
Best option I can see so far is to create a second array and logical drive using the 18Gb disks and then use some third party utility to try and copy the contents of one drive to the other - made more awkward by the fact that most of these utilites want to operate outwith windows after a reboot (and hence have no drivers available to even see the logical disks being presented by the controller).
Furthermore I can only seem to get the DL360 to boot off the logical drive with the lowest number and I cannot seem to see how to rename or renumber a logical drive without deleting it and potentially then losing all the data on it.
All ideas gratefully received
thnx

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator