6120 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: help needed regarding HP ProLiant DL 360p G8 Server

sairfan1
Occasional Visitor

help needed regarding HP ProLiant DL 360p G8 Server

Hi,

i'm maintaining four HP servers of above mentioned model at our office, according to our working environment we don't need servers to stay online after office hours and we want to shoutdown on daily basis.

I want to know does daily shutdown effect server's health in any manner? 

Thanking you

Irfan

5 REPLIES 5
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

hello

Yes certainly affects stopping and restarting your server with Gen8 there are many options for controlling power as HP Dynamic Power Capping.

sairfan1
Occasional Visitor

sorry, im not clear, can it effect my server's hardware if i manually/auto shutdown server at every day end? if yes what kind of hardware loss is expected? and will you please briefly describe why daily shutdown of server is not recommended, when we don't need to stay online 24 hours.

We have Windows Server 2008 and Linux OS installed.

mhunter
Frequent Advisor

You shouldn't run into any problems shutting down / starting up on a daily basis. I would recommend leaving them on to receive antivirus updates or any other type of subscriptions/updates.

What the other gentlemen was saying is you can throttle down the power usage to a trickle, so that if in the rare chance someone needs a file at 3 in the morning, it can serve those users, and reduce the possibility of your phone ringing.

sairfan1
Occasional Visitor

thanks, infact in our country we are facing power shortage, and in our business scenario there is no need of online server after office hours, thats why we have to shutdown servers at day end, i got feedback from someone that daily shutdown my result in some hardware failure, i just wanted to clear this point.

So what i understand is, there is no chance of hardware loss/failure for HP Server if we shutdown server at every day end, at the moment updates are not important.

mhunter
Frequent Advisor

In my opinion it's always been one of those myths that turning things on and off could hurt or reduce the reliability of your system.

My biggest concern is that you have power issues, I would highly recommend a enterprise grade (level9) UPS to isolate your servers from the power grid.