1753770 Members
5079 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

p410i dead bbwc and new raid array

MikiPiki

p410i dead bbwc and new raid array

Hello!

We have bought used g6 dl380 server with 8 hard drives(146GB SAS). Because we wanted "advanced" raid 5/50, we ordered additional 512MB cache with battery(used too). After installing additional cache and battery, we found out that the battery is dead. We ordered new one, but didn't get it yet, so we have currently a dead one our server. With ACU from smart start cd we created array and logical drive with raid 50 and all 8 drives. ACU gives us one warning with code 263 about dead battery and one information message with code 786. See attached screeshot ss1.png.

In attachment ss2.png is more information about logical drive.

My question is in what state is raid array? Status under "More information" says "OK", under array accelerator says "Enabled, but not currently active due to transformation." Parity initialization status says "Queued". In this state it is almost 2 days, no changes or progress.

Do we have to wait for new battery to proceed/speed up?

When the battery arrives, can we shut down whole thing and replace it, without repeating raid "transformation"?

Can we start installing OS, or do we have to wait? 

Thanks for any information.

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: p410i dead bbwc and new raid array

About error 786 - it says it won't start parity initialization until there is IO to the array. So you need to install an OS, put a filesystem on the disk and write something to it for parity init. to start.

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

First of all, you need to update server with SPP, http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/eula.2013.09.0(B).html

after that apply the New SPP http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

after that and when you replace Battery check warrning message

NB: You can install OS after upfating system and without battery :)

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

scharchouf - how do you see that MikiPiki has not updated their firmwares?

scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

there is a new SPP who have just been deployed in February. to apply, you must have installed the SPP 2013, it is the best practice HP