ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752458 Members
6328 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "ASR Detected by System ROM" error message in HP Intergrated Mangement Log Viewer

Zhang Xu_1
Occasional Advisor

"ASR Detected by System ROM" error message in HP Intergrated Mangement Log Viewer

Hi Guys,

May need your kindly help as I had encountered some error message in HP Intergrated Mangement Log Viewer like: "ASR Detected by System ROM" & "ASR Reset Limit Decteted by System ROM".
The server model is HP Proliant DL380 G5. It functions as file server for me.
I had went through the forum and it seems no one encountered this error before, or maybe this error is just to simple for shoubleshoot.
Is there any solution for this error? Many thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards
Zhang
18 REPLIES 18
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Re: "ASR Detected by System ROM" error message in HP Intergrated Mangement Log Viewer

ASR = Automatic Server Recovery.

In other words, HPs built-in management system detected that the server had crashed and rebooted it.

In 9 out of 10 instances, the problem is SW related. See if there's any clues in the Windows Event logs.
Zhang Xu_1
Occasional Advisor

Dear Trygve Henriksen,

Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly,you mean once the server has been rebooted for some reason then the HP Intergrated Mangement will show this message? What if the server is working fine without been auto rebooted recently?

I had also called HP tech support and was advised to updated the array controller's firmware in order to resolve the issue. I don't quite agree with them in this case.

Sorry that I had so many questions, I am still quite new for HP proliant servers.

Thanks & Regrads
Zhang
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

The message will stay in the log until 'checked out' or deleted.

Updating all Firmwares(Array controller, BIOS, ILO if you have) and associated HW drivers is a good start in resolving 'mysterious' hangs/reboots.

Software related hangs/reboots can be very difficult to track down, so starting with a fully patched system is a good start.

Zhang Xu_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks so much for the information shared.

However the effected server function as a Domain controller and DHCP. So I don't really want to update the server firmware. Anything goes wrong, I will be in deep trouble.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Just disable ASR, in my experience it will only cause problems (especially with linux).
Bi sides, i like watching at blue screens :)
Zhang Xu_1
Occasional Advisor

Cool!
But I guess my boss will kill me if I disable the ASR.
Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

If you disable ASR, when the server has a Blue Screen, it will just stay there, until someone addresses it.

Send us a screen shot/exact error in the Integrated Management logs.

I belive its standard practice for HP support to recommend update the firmware and drivers. Many instances I've have, that did not solve the issue, just delay fixing the issue. But however, there is documented HP Support Adviseries and indicate a firmware update will actually fix the issue. In this case it very well may be the cause.

Send us the data collection report, too, so we can see the firmware revisions, if you can.

Thanks
Zhang Xu_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the advice from you.

Just a little updates on this issue, I had checked on my server's Windows System & Application event logs. found that every time before the server auto rebooted, there was a system error message listed below.
Please kindly help to advise on this.

Many thanks in advanced.
Zhang

Log Name: C:\Users\User\Downloads\System.evt
Source: hpqilo2
Date: 8/30/2010 10:40:18 PM
Event ID: 57
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TAKSERVER2
Description:
The description for Event ID 57 from source hpqilo2 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

C:\Users\User\Downloads\System.evt
TAKSERVER2

NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
00000000020058000000000039000080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Pete2010
Frequent Advisor

Looks like your iLo needs a firmware update, check out this HP Advisory:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000012322