3300 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: re : memory test

vinowg
Advisor

re : memory test

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help, can I know if there is a tool that I can use to check memory for original or fake ?? And can I know what does sbd check stand for ??

Regards

Vincent

6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, do you have a context where you see SBD? Also in memory?

Is probably this then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect

If you want to see if the memory is fake you would probably have to take it out of the server. That's the way HP support used to do it when they suspected it anyway..
vinowg
Advisor

Hi ,

Thanks for the info, but how can the spd be tested , can it be done with smart start over a comphrehsive test mode . What will be the end result ?? Will it show how many bit the memory is make up of ??

Kindly advice ??

Also, sorry to ask , can we assign point in the new forum , how can we do this

Regards

Vincent

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi!

See this thread about the SPD test in HP Insight DIagnostics (this can be found in the smartstart CD or in system management homepage). Maybe that clarifies it for you? There were lots of entries in this forum when I searched for 'SPD' and 'community'.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/HP-Proliant-DL380-G6-DIMM-SPD-Errors-test/m-p/4723901/highlight/true#M107669

As far as I can tell you can do it with the insight diagnostics, unsure if only in the comprehensive or quick or what not.. But some of the results appears to be that it tells you if there were uncorrectable ECC errors.

About the points, see the link in my signature.

vinowg
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I have gone through, but how can u tell from spd whether it is a 4gb stick or 8 GB stick on a 16GB kit . Does spd show ??

Can I have a sample ??

Regards

Vincent

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I think you should be able to tell this from the system management homepage - if you have this installed?

I don't know how/if you can interface with the SPD this much.

Maybe it also depends which OS you have?

Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

Greetings:

I think iLO has memory information displayed as well. Might save you some time.

Regards,

Louis