7330 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replacing mirrored drives

zoec
Occasional Contributor

replacing mirrored drives

Hi,

My Proliant ML 350 print server makes some grinding sound (not very laud) when it boots and once in a while when it's running. The fan seems to be working. I don't get any error in the Event Viewer though. I'm worried that it's coming from the SCSI drives but I'm not sure. There're 2 SCSI HDD (non-hot swap), mirrored. As they're already over 3 years old, I would like to replace them before they finally fail. OS is Windows 2000 server sp3.
What is the proper way to replace those mirrored hard drive? Currently the drives consist of OS and print drivers.
Any input is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

who is doing the mirror, software or hardware? If it is hardware, you need to set the failing drive into status failed, shutdown, replace it, startup and rebuild the mirror.

greetings,

Michael
e4services
Honored Contributor

Either way, you need to fail one of the drives, replace it and allow the controller to rebuild it. simply unplugging one of the drives will cause the failure flag to be set also.
Could be a fan that is causing the noise also, but after 3 years, replacing the drives is not a bad idea. Use some new drive, not some old stock drives just to match the Compaq part number. 36GB is as small as they are manufactured now also (36GB=single platter nowadays)
Hot Swap Hard Drives
zoec
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your replies.
The mirror was setup via the Windows 2000 Disk Management. Each disk is 9GB. If I remove 1 bad disk and insert a new 36GB SCSI, can they still be mirrored since the sizes are different?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this should work. Look into the dynamic disk, so you may use the extra space on the 36gb. I am however no so firm on this.

greetings,

Michael