1753501 Members
3580 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: smart array p410i in embedded slot - warning message

MohankumarK
Advisor

smart array p410i in embedded slot - warning message

smart array p410i in embedded slot had valid data stored in its battery/capacitor backed write cache the last time the array controller has automatically written , or has attempted to writ this data to the drives.

This message will continue to be displayed until the next reset power-cycle of the array controller

Some one please guide me to resolve the above mention warning message.

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: smart array p410i in embedded slot - warning message

> This message will continue to be displayed until the next reset power-cycle of the array controller

So, in other words, reboot the server (using the proper procedure - don't just hold down the power button) and the message should go away.

The message indicates that the previous system shutdown was abrupt: most likely the system lost power without a controlled shutdown. As a sysadmin, you should find out why that happened. 

If this is a production server, make sure its power input is appropriately protected. In most cases, that means the system should be connected to an UPS of an appropriate power rating, and the UPS batteries should be in good condition. UPS batteries will degrade over time, and will eventually need to be replaced.

If that system is protected by an UPS and you know that the incoming power to the UPS failed, then the error message means one of the following:

• the UPS may have failed as soon as it had to switch to battery power (i.e. overloaded UPS, failed UPS batteries)
  • if the UPS was supposed to keep the server running for the entire power outage, the UPS battery capacity may have been inadequate
  • normally the UPS should have a way to tell the servers it's protecting to shut down in a controlled manner, if the UPS batteries are running low. This message might also mean that this signalling mechanism is not working properly.
MK