108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

speed write to disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Berend Tooms

speed write to disk

Hello

I use a ML350 (Novell 6,5) with a SA641 scsi raidcontroller with 4 disks 36 Mb. When I write to disk the speed is max. 1200 kb/sec by small blocks (512) this speed is getting higher with greater blocks up to 8.000 kb/sec using blocks from 10.000 kb. We are using a application thats writes small blockes and this 1200 is nog fast enough. How can I make this go faster, if possible?

Thanks in advance

Berend

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Storage Systems to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

12 REPLIES 12
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: speed write to disk

Berend,
can't you buffer the output to memory until you have filled larger blocks?
Berend Tooms

Peter,

This is a database application we are using. Writing and reading is real time by several users. So saving for bigger blocks is not an option. It is not a problem in my network. When I try a crosscable on the server, it is still the same results.
I think my question is: is this 1200 kb/sec a normal result? Or?
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Berend,
according to the tech guide (attached) the bandwidth is there.
What sort of RAID setup have you got?
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

1200 KB/s at 512-byte blocks is darn good for 4 drives! That's 600 IOPS per drive! (They're rated at 120-160 IOPS per drive)

I'm surprised that you are getting that much...

There are 3 things you can do to increase your performance:

1. Add the 128MB battery-backed-cache option (if you haven't already)
2. Add more disks (I think you're limited to 6, but you should be able to add 2)
3. Add an external disk array. This could be another SmartArray with an MSA30 shelf, an MSA1000 or MSA1500, or an EVA4000. This option allows you to use many more disks.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Berend
For DB applications you shouldn't concentrate on the MB/s but instead look at IOPS.

Berend Tooms

Hello,

These are things that I can use in my contact with my softwarehouse! This is all comming out by tests that has been done by a softwarehouse for using new software.
I'm using a raid 5 with 1 spare, by the way.
I thought that the problem could be the NIC (10/100/1000,server -auto- vs 100,computer or switch) or memory (1,5 Gb), but that seems not to be the problem. When I have listened well, there is no problem. By the way, the performance of this server is perfect, so....... why change a winning team. I think not, untill........

Thanks all. I'll let you know when something changes.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You can increase write performance if you change the Raid level fom Raid5 to Raid 10 as Raid10 has less write overhead then Raid5 ( Raid5=4 IO, Raid10=2 IO ).
Simon Setina
Advisor

Hi,

for increasing IO, you should think about Solid State Disks.

They are fast. With SSD you can achive more than 70.000+ IOPS with no problem.

Simon
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Simon - he has an ML350.

It's not practical to put a $50,000 SSD on a $5,000 server...
No matter where you go, there you are.