108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP! Can't install NT4 Server on my Netserver 5/100 LS

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR704303
Advisor

HELP! Can't install NT4 Server on my Netserver 5/100 LS

When I try to boot my netserver 5/100LS with the bootable cd, the system just won't start, it hangs. When I try to install NT4 server with the boot disks I get the error "setup is unable to locate the hard drive partition prepared by the MS-DOS portion of Setup".
Who can help me?
My system is FAT16.

I think i'm using the right SCSI drivers for my 7870 card.

I'm missing the HP Navigator cd as well, mayby somebody can help me get that CDROM? I don't want to subscribe to the service because I only need one cdrom, not the whole bunch of updates.
21 REPLIES 21
BR659932
Regular Advisor

Hi.

Go to hp.com, click on drivers -> HP drivers and search with the server product number (something like A1234B; A1234-56789 is a partnumber which doesn't help). You can download all the latest drivers from there, along with the latest BIOS, firmwares etc.

Create the driver diskettes, boot the installation from the NT floppies instead of CDROM and use the created diskettes for drivers.

HTH
~A~
BR704303
Advisor

Already downloaded the latest drivers and made the boot disks for NT4 installation. Then booted with the boot disks (so far so good), then at the hardware detection I chose for no detection but manually load the drivers, inserted the drivers disk from hp and installed the SCSI 78XX series driver. The chose continue and i still get the same error "setup is unable to locate the hard drive partition prepared by the MS-DOS portion of Setup". Mayby I need the driver for NT4 for the CDROM drive in the Netserver 5/100 LS?

Roderick
CA698399
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Roderick,

Did you create the NT boot disks with the winnt /ox command?

Here's a step-by-step guide for installing NT 4.0 on HP Netservers:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh200004.www2.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Flpn11586%2Flpn11586.pdf

Hope this helps.
BR660373

Hello!

I also find important to have SCSI driver installed first and then others like CD Drive, when using separate 3 NT boot disks. Because systems try to install OS to first device provided.

BRDS

Altti
BR704303
Advisor

Installed the SCSI 7870 driver first with the 3disk setup from NT4 (hp driver disk), setup goes on then, then i select multriprocessor pc from the list of pc's but at the next screen i get a memory dump or something like that, a blue screen with small letters, not really a memory dump like NT4, but something like it.

Roderick
BR704303
Advisor

it says something like:
error in ntdll.dll
[blue screen, small letters]

Roderick
BR660373

Hello!

It might be partition size problem, FAT16 only support under 4GB partitions. What size you are using for installation

BRDS

Altti
BR704303
Advisor

I use a HP hot swap hdd of 2.1gigabyte, so this couldn't be the problem.

Roderick
CA730816

If I remember correctly the old Netservers had
required you to use the Boot floopies to load
the OS. And the partition size was 2047 max.

Don't Die Wondering.