New Discussion

HP G8 G1610T Microserver Computer compatible Hard Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

HP G8 G1610T Microserver Computer compatible Hard Drive

People,

I'd like to get this HP G8 G1610T Microserver but wondering if I can do the following setup for the storage part:

OS Drive:

1x 128 GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung Evo 850 connected at the blank / optional Optical Drive slot at the top

Data Drive:

2x 2 TB RAID- 1 SATA 3 Western Digital Red NAS drive (Slot 1 & 2)

2x 2 TB RAID- 1 SATA 3 Western Digital Red NAS drive (Slot 3 & 4)

I cannot see any special requirement on this page: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04123182

Does the normal ordinary disk drive can be inserted on this server bay ?

is it possible to modify the drive to fit into the HDD caddy ?

Thanks

Best regards,
7 REPLIES 7
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP G8 G1610T Microserver Computer compatible Hard Drive

Hi,

Hard drives other than those mentioned in the quickspecs have not been tested on the server and hence cannot be said with certainity that they would fit into the cage and work.

Gen 8 servers have different drives and cannot be used in generation below it as the connectors, size and backplane differ.

Hard drives recommended on the server alone have been tested for fit and testing other drives are done at your own risk.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Vijaya,

Does the 4x brackets / drive caddy can be installed by consumer level hard drive ?

or do I have to use some special drive bracket that can be purchased separately ?

note: this is for home use not for office / commercial use.

Best regards,
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

The point is that as other drives have not been tested, it cannot be said with certainity whether the hard drives would install correctly, contacting the backplane properly is a question. Hence you may have to try them at your risk!!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hi,

The hard drive cage cannot be modified as there are no parts that move.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

The 4 drive caddys that ship with the system will mount to any 3.5" SATA drive.  As already stated, non HP labeled drives have not been tested in the server so your milage may vary.

I know users who have used non HP dirves without issue, and I also know of a user who had some red label drives who had issues.

One thing to keep in mind on using the ODD SATA connection for a hard drive. There is no way to select this controller as the boot disk

You might take a look at the HomeServer Show forums and see what others are doing with the Gen8 Microserver for home use

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/96-hp-servers/

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ArnisR
Advisor

Jimmy Vance wrote:

One thing to keep in mind on using the ODD SATA connection for a hard drive. There is no way to select this controller as the boot disk

I can boot from ODD SATA.  SSD disk is installed in ODD place. Configured as single RAID0 disk.

A

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

ArnisR wrote:

Jimmy Vance wrote:

I can boot from ODD SATA.  SSD disk is installed in ODD place. Configured as single RAID0 disk.

A

I should have been more clear in my response. When using SATA AHCI mode the ODD sata port cannot be set as the boot disk. It shows up as the last connected disk device.  When using the controller in B120i mode the ODD conencted drive can be selected as te hboto device.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!