ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753401 Members
7523 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Netserver LX Pro - I2O / fan trouble (or not?)

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR704303
Advisor

HP Netserver LX Pro - I2O / fan trouble (or not?)

I just picked up my Netserver LX Pro at a guy who sold it to me totally taken apart (he couldn't get it working again after his boss gave it to him, to difficult he told me). After a couple of hours work this morning the server is running again and very very smoothly.

BUT i've got 2 questions:

my lx pro has got 2 fans (in front of the case) that i've powered thru 'fan1' and 'fan2' on the motherboard. But my netserver show's a red light at the control panel (saying the fans are not okay), but they really are oke. What am i doing wrong? Do i need to connect them different or...? Mayby need to connect more fans? (there are only 2 fans in front of my case, so what is wrong?). How should i connect them to turn the light green?

question 2:
Wat does the 'i2o' do / what is it for? I've got 4 'i2o' cables but how should i connect them? On the controlpanel there is one 'i2o' connector and on the motherboard there is one 'i2o' connector. How do i need to connect it and what does it exactly do?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Roderick
6 REPLIES 6
meloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,
first I will respond to your second question, I2O is a advanced mode of commuynication, not a cable, probably you are speaking about I2C, that is an internal bus for traps communications.
These cable (usualy jellow and with four wire) interconnect severals parts of the server in order to send allerts and managment signals, they need to be connected on the jellow connectors on the components.
Check on the reference card or the manual, you will found the components that use this bus. For the Fan problem, not sure but there is nore than two fan on this server, some are near the processor and may be some in the rear of it, chek the manual
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
BR704303
Advisor

I haven't got a manual :(
only manual i've got is the one on the inside of the case. The manuals on the internet don't say anything about the fans / or I2O or how to connect it.

Roderick
meloni
Honored Contributor

hi

start having a look at these documents, they explain about the fan failure,

did you have a error code?http://isupport2.hp.com/hpis/Solution.asp?id=80c4fd0b-cf7b-11d4-beaf-0090277257e4

http://isupport2.hp.com/hpis/Solution.asp?id=c2107671-ed82-11d5-bed1-0090278a7756
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
meloni
Honored Contributor

if the kink did not give you the answer, select netserver as product and IS762 and IS11457 in problem description, or "lx pro fan"
you will find lots of resources.
marino
BR704303
Advisor

Thnx!! Found the answer to my fan problem :)

But still one question remains, how do i connect the I2O and what does it add to my server?

Roderick
meloni
Honored Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50460

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=15351&prodCatId=79378&prodSubCatId=71341

What you need should be in the handbook

here you will found the manuals you need.
Related to I2C (not I2O) this will interconnect the differents subsystem of your server like power supply, hot swapp cage, pront pannel, in order to send traps to the mother board, this is an old system now replaced by IPMI tecnology. The connection will permit you to use a supervisor program that use agents like top tools or instant toptools in order to check for failure or prefailure.

marino