7990 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I cant find the cd for this server

Tony Scola
Occasional Contributor

I cant find the cd for this server

Help!!!....
I bought this server from a company that was upgrading. There was no cd's though. I formatted it and loaded win2000 advance server. But.. I can only see 2 gigs from the 9 gig drives. and I cant find any video drivers for this onboard trident (something) video card. Someone told me I would need a whole cd set just to get this server ready for use, before windows is loaded. Cause it has a hot swap raid system and etc..etc. I paid think I might of gotten ripped off. Im not sure. It seems I cant get this thing up to par like I would be able to with another regular system.
Thanks for you time with responding to me!!!
Love new toys!!
2 REPLIES 2
CA845876
Valued Contributor

Re: I cant find the cd for this server

We need more information to help you. What model of server do you have?

Coincidentally, 2 GB is the maximum partition size for the FAT16 file system, so possibly, your system was configured that way. If you wipe out the partition(s) with fdisk, you should be able to install your w2k fresh, and partition to take advantage of all the disk space as one volume, if that's what you want.

With the server model, it would be possible to tell which CD would be appropriate for your system. However, that's not strictly necessary. The drivers for everything can be downloaded from www.hp.com . Also, you don't have to make it a RAID system if you don't want to. You can go straight SCSI, just a bunch of disks, getting maximum space at the expense of redundancy/performance.

One last comment. If you were planning on using this as your desktop or home machine, remember that it was intended to be a network server. That means that it was never designed for video performance, as you can see by the Trident chipset.
CA660377
Honored Contributor

Re: I cant find the cd for this server

There is no driver for the trident 9000 video controller for win2k. You are stuck with the defaults.