1753788 Members
7543 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing Win 2000 Server to HP Netserver LH PRO

BR686536
Occasional Contributor

Installing Win 2000 Server to HP Netserver LH PRO

We configured a RAIND 5 with a hot swap on the machine. When we go to boot from the CD to install WIndows 2000 Server, the machine hangs at the message:

System is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration.

Though it might be a bios problem, but when we do the bios, it never takes at least not that I can see. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
10 REPLIES 10
CA660377
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing Win 2000 Server to HP Netserver LH PRO

What netraid controller is in the system?
CA660377
Honored Contributor

More info rather than a question. The mylex and the original netraid and netraid-1 are not supported in win2k. You would have to have a 1si or 3si or high to install win2k.
BR686536
Occasional Contributor

Theo,

The machine has a netRAID 3si installed.

Michael
CA660377
Honored Contributor

Are you getting the latest BIOS from here?:

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/keeper_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix50454.html

You may trying clearing the CMOS. Turn the server off. On the system board are a set of switches, look for switch #4 and flip it to the on position. Boot the server. At the end of post, power the system off. Flip switch #4 back to the off position. You will then need to boot the server to the ECU, located in the link above. The BIOS level must match the ECU inorder for it to work. Once in the ECU just do a save and exit. Here is the system board:

http://netserver.hp.com/support/parts_service/system_board/sys_board_tpl.asp?pid=LHPro

Also try removing any other pci/isa cards that aren't needed.
Mike Paniak

Theo,

For whatever reason this Forum is not recognizing my ID and PWD even though I entered it correctly even after requesting both ID and password just in case. *shakes head*

Anyway, I flipped the switch for #4 and then powered on. After the POST, I powered off machine and restarted with ECU diskette.

I did a "Save and Exit" adn rebooted without the diskette.

Placed WIn 2K Server CD in drive and when it went to boot up, I got hung up smae place detecting hardware.

I even tried using Windows 2K Advanced Server and got the same error.

Only card in machine is the NIC.

Not sure where to go from here now. :(
Mike Paniak

I am making the assumption that you had the switches backwards for ON/Off as it relates to when to use the ECU diskette.

What kills me is that when you do the save/exit from ECU it says go back to the ECU to install an oeprating system. Yet when you go back to do so, nothing is there for an option to do such an install.

So as it stands, server still not getting past "system is inspecting your comptuer's hardware configuration."

FYI - It also hangs when it asks for me to press any key to boot from CD-Rom. If I don't press a key wihtin roughly 10 seconds, the server hangs.
CA660377
Honored Contributor

No, I said it correctly. The switch should be in the off position when you are finished, then you boot to the ECU. If you keep it in the on position, it will clear the cmos every time. One thing I can suggest is to make the boot floppies and try the install that way. change to the bootdisk directory on the win2k cd. if you are on an nt box, type makebt32 a: if you are on a 9x based system type makebt a:

Hope this helps.
Scot Van Uitert

The last suggestion to make the boot disks is the only way I was successful in installing Windows 2000 server on my LH Pro.

Mike Paniak

When I left it in the off position, the ECU disk would not work. However, when I moved it to the on position after powring up with it in the off position, it worked fine.

Factory defauly for Switch #4 is on.

In any event, it turned out that the onbaord SCSI B was still active. I disabled it with ECU and then was able to install Windows 2000. I have to get a driver for the netraid card, but that should not be any issue.

Thanks!!

Michael