1753467 Members
4993 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Interfacing IDE HDD to E50 netserver

CA805454
Occasional Contributor

Interfacing IDE HDD to E50 netserver

I want to increase the storage in my e50 server. I tried to install a IDE HDD to the e50 machine running winNT 4.0 with two SCSI 2GB HDDs. While the Bios detects the IDE HDD but during the boot procedure I get message... "Operating system not found".
What I am fealing is that the Bios is tring to Boot from the IDE drive I have connected( not formatted).
Please tell me hoe to interface both IDE and SCSI HDDs in the server machine.
NB: help of any order will be very useful, pl. feal free to answer even to the lowest denominator.
With regards
4 REPLIES 4
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there.
Did you check the bios for the boot sequence ?
It may be, that first boot device is HD0.
If you change it to SCSI, it should be ok.
If you need more help, let us know.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
CA805454
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I would like to add a few more points to my querry...
Bios version on the E-50 server is 4.05.07PM and this bios does not have any such control over the boot sequence... this provides enable disable options for boot from FDD,CDROM and HDD. Now this is not clear which hard disk bios is considering. Though I have tried with disabling the HDD boot, it is not working. and I am getting teh same message "operating system not found".
CA467151
Valued Contributor

I am not aware of any successful attempt to do this. HP did not test IDE drives in the E50 (also true of almost all Netservers). Other customers have tried. When the only drive installed is an IDE, issue has been BIOS recognising a maximum of 8-9 GB.
It just doesn't get any better then this
Brian Wildman
Advisor

You might try to tell it "No" under the starup section for the CD-ROM I have a feeling that the CD-ROM is realy refering to the IDE controller in this case.