4324 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 mirror

SOLVED
Go to solution
DickT

ML350 mirror

I have a ML350 Server running Windows Server 2003 with the Adaptec SATA RAID 2610SA Controller and Hot Swap Options.

This is set up as a mirrored RAID 1 with 2 drives.

I remove drive 1 every few months and insert a different drive and then put the removed drive in a safe place.

My question has to do with the sequence I need to follow.

I have been shutting the server down, removing drive 1 and inserting a prior drive 1 from a few months ago and starting the server. In the bios boot process I go into the adaptec section (Ctrl A) and Initialize the drive I just put in. Then I let the computer boot normally. It then remirrors over the next few hours.

Do I really need to do all this?

Since it is a hot swap system could I just pull a drive and insert a different one that came out of the system months ago?

My fear is that in remirroring it will restore some old files that had been deleted on the dirve 0. In short that I would get a combination of the data on both drives rather then drive 0 being erased and drive 0's contents copied drive 1.
3 REPLIES 3
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor

I don't see anything usefull in what you follow.

Scenario 1
-----------
The server is running in mirrored RAID. you remove a disk save it in safe place.
If some thing happens worse then you have the disk which is kept safe to bring back system to that point --> good option.
After two months you have to take another working copy. where the content would be new but still you acknolwedge it as a check point to take backup.
For this follow the below step code.
------------------------------------
Remove Disk from bay 0 and reinsert the replacement dik into the bay 0 and it starts rebuilding.

This ensures once rebuilding is finished the content in both disk are same and latest

Repeat it each consecutive month.

At the the time of disaster. when you try to plugin this backup disk alone and bootup it will ask whether to boot in safe mode. say No and make it normal.

Scenario 2
-----------
The server is running in mirrored RAID. you remove a disk save it in safe place.
You need a single backup to always bring back the server to installation state.

For this follow the below step code.
------------------------------------
Remove Disk from bay 0 and reinsert the replacement dik into the bay 0 and it starts rebuilding.

thats it nothing more.

At time of disaster plugin the disk alone and boot and select normal. it will take you to the install state.
Dick Tuttle
Occasional Advisor

You are saying that I remove drive 0. Can I remove/replace drive 1 instead?
I guess what I am asking is does it make a difference which drive I remove?

Thanks
This will save me a lot of time and complex procedure.
Prem Selvam Arumugam
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Any Drive, Its left to your fantasy, remove and replace the empty bay with another, thats it.

Its mirrored!! there won't be any difference.