108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Both Mr. Vance and I have asked for an update on the case. Let's hope we receive additional information in the coming days.

This is an undecuated guess but from the looks of it the first ROM update has been released in April and the second revision in August. That may mean a 4 months release cycle which would lead us to december for the next version.

ad-d
Advisor

Ouch!  That's quite a lot longer than I was hoping for to simply fix some fan tables.  I appreciate that everything needs to be tested etc but I really hope it's not being delayed because they're trying to add in additional features/fixes etc.  Given the huge number of unhappy affected people they should really be rushing out a quick fan speed fix BIOS then taking their time to get any additional features/fixes right on a later BIOS.  Hope you're wrong on timescales or maybe my Gen8 will end up as my 'Christmas present' to use towards the end of the year - it's so unusably loud it spends 99% of the day turned off at the moment.  So close to being the ultimate micro sized home/small business server yet you'd be more likely to put your hands over your ears and run away than put your hands in your pocket for your wallet if you were demo'd it in it's current form.  I'll keep hoping this gets fixed and checking daily, so frustrating as when this small issue is fixed it really will be a great machine.

Marcus Rejås
Advisor

Heard anything yet?

I'm really hoping for a fix soon. Here at the office there is a couple of really noisy servers. We have only one room and there is almost embarrassing having customers here. I keep telling that the servers are not supposed to sound like that and a fix is on the way.

Regards,

Marcus

subsix
Frequent Advisor

I had an HP support case open regarding the AHCI mode noise issue. My contact told me today that Engineering sees no issue and won't fix the issue. I have asked him to reconfirm... This is the worst experience I ever had with HP.

Is that similar to what you heard from HP Engineering? Fan control in AHCI mode is currently so terribly broken that I wouldn't recommend this machine for anything outside a server room. Far from the 21 dbA in the QuickSpecs...

I hope that others have better news on this subject...

Peter

Tommie75

I hope that the fan table will be changed, the server is much too loud for a SOHO. Show me a SOHO does have a noise dampening server room? My customers not !!

I also own the Microserver G8 but cannot use them in a normal way. Most of the time he is switched off due to the noise he is producing.

I am really disappointed because I had a N36L, moved to the N54L and now to the G8 and it was only getting worse with the loudness. The G8 is stated as 21dB but with AHCI it is not possible to reach this :-(

Marcus Rejås
Advisor

That would be a shame. We use software RAID5 on ours. I don't think that is possible using a setup rendering less noise.

This would render our new microservers useless. :-(. I really hope for a fix on this.

/Marcus

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@subsix wrote:

I had an HP support case open regarding the AHCI mode noise issue. My contact told me today that Engineering sees no issue and won't fix the issue. I have asked him to reconfirm... This is the worst experience I ever had with HP.

Is that similar to what you heard from HP Engineering? Fan control in AHCI mode is currently so terribly broken that I wouldn't recommend this machine for anything outside a server room. Far from the 21 dbA in the QuickSpecs...

I hope that others have better news on this subject...

Peter

Not sure who your contact is, but they are incorrect. The issue is being worked and hopefully a ROM update will be forthcoming.

One thing everyone needs to do is open an official support case with HP. While there are several users discussion fan noise here and in some of the home server forums, only one or two users have actually opened up a support case. When you open a case ask to have the case escalated to level 2 where they know about the issue.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
subsix
Frequent Advisor

@Jimmy Vance,

No question - I do hope that my support contact is wrong with his statement. I had my case opened via HP Germany. It was assigned to an engineer in Bulgaria (HP's central support site for Europe?). I opened that case in early August and it is open until today. It had been elevated to L2 (an engineer from India) - that's where the decline came from...

As you pointed out It would be incredibly helpful if everyone suffering from that AHCI mode noise issue would open a corresponding support case.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

subsix wrote:

@Jimmy Vance,

No question - I do hope that my support contact is wrong with his statement. I had my case opened via HP Germany. It was assigned to an engineer in Bulgaria (HP's central support site for Europe?). I opened that case in early August and it is open until today. It had been elevated to L2 (an engineer from India) - that's where the decline came from...

As you pointed out It would be incredibly helpful if everyone suffering from that AHCI mode noise issue would open a corresponding support case.

Tell the support person to contact me directly. Yes, if everyone would open their own case, the issue would start showing up on reports and gain visibility.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
PAC_
Frequent Advisor

Great idea, we whould spread the word about opening up tickets.