New Discussion

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
subsix
Frequent Advisor

@TeoCiontu,

I didn't really have a noise issue with the B120i in RAID mode and Windows (2012), Red Hat Linux or ESXi as the OS. I haven't tried it but would expect Win8 to behave similarly.

With my two WD RED and a HP genuine disk I got consistent fan speeds of 7-11% in iLO (Win 2012, B120i in RAID mode). Nice and quiet. The HGST 2.5" drives that I wanted to install initially didn't work as expected as iLO couldn't read the temperature sensors... So resulting fan speeds may vary with the kind of hard disks you use. 

Do I understand you correctly that you'd like to install a video card? From what I recall there were issues with "unsupported" PCIe cards. But I never tried myself...

BTW: 220 EUR sounds great - I paid almost 500 EUR for my G2020...

Peter

bkraptor

I also have recently purchased one. After having tried everything I could think of without any success I will most likely return it as I am still within the legal period.

This is sad, as it looks like quite a nice piece of hardware, but the noise is unbearable.

TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

@Peter

I've installed windows server 2012 with B120i in raid 0 and the fan is at 6% so indeed very quiet so I'm quit happy till now. 

(I've figured out how to install Windows Server 2012 with B120i enabled, it was a little bit tricky. 

I had to install manually with the driver of B120i on an usb, and during windows installation to use the driver_

Now I found another issue: the read cache is set to 64kb but ACU gives me a status alert that the controller  cannot allocate the read cache so it will be 0kb. 

I cannot find a solution anywhere.

Probably I'll not install a video card anymore. I will use only for server purposes. 

If you know something about that read cache error pls tell me. 

best, 

teo

TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

I was very close to do the same, a lot of frustration but I manage to install windows server 2012 with b120i enabled and it is very quiet.
Now I'm playing around with ILO ( with a trial license key) and I'm somehow in-loved with the server ;). So if you say exactly what did you try maybe we can help. Don't give it back yet, I had the same experience. Regards, teo
buzatu

@TeoCiontu
Hi can you please tell me what HDDs do you have inside the server? Brand, model, size....
Thx
TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

@buzatu WD 2Tb Red.

I've notice that the status error for read cache is appearing only in offline ACU (accessed with F5 during POST) .

When I'm in windows server 2012,  Windows Array Diagnostic Utility  and iLO, reports read cache in the right amount I've set it in offline ACU.

jazz1138
Occasional Visitor

I've submitted a support request today and have also been told I need to use genuine HP Gen8 drives. The support person also offered to supply one for testing. Not sure if I should bother going through with it. Even if It does fix the problem It's going to cost over $1000AUD to replace all four drives. 

subsix
Frequent Advisor

@Teo,

I noticed that ACU message myself with the B120i in RAID mode. I haven't paid much attention to that detail but believe that it went away after installing more RAM. How much RAM do you have installed in your server?

Best regards,

Peter

TeoCiontu
Occasional Advisor

@peter 2 gb.

Very interesting is that yestarday I had a 2 hr chat with a guy from hp support, he was very helpful but he couldn't find an answer. 

He told me that he will check in depth and will give me an answer today.

Also, Today I've notice that the status error for read cache is appearing only in offline ACU (accessed with F5 during POST) .

When I'm in windows server 2012,  Windows Array Diagnostic Utility  and iLO, reports read cache in the right amount I've set it in offline ACU.

I want to check that everything is ok with the server within the grace period of returning it to the point of sale, if it will be the case.

How is your experience till now with the server ?

Teo

subsix
Frequent Advisor

@Teo,

I recall that ACU message from when I had just 2GB installed in my machine too. I believe it was gone when I upgraded to the 16GB that I have installed now but cannot vouch for that. And as I won't run the B120i in RAID mode it is almost irrelevant for my specific scenario.

My overall experience with the Microserver Gen8 is positive. In particular, the build quality of the machine is very good IMHO. However, it took a while until I found a low-noise non-RAID configuration -and unfortunately HP support was not helpful in that regard. I really hope that they will address the noise issue in AHCI mode that this entire thread is about as I am running an add-on card currently that I would like to get rid of again ASAP for lower power consumption.

Peter